Fuji Unexpected: Fuji will launch a Medium Format camera with the Sony 50MP sensor this summer

this might indeed be a stupid question, especially from one who does both understand and enjoy the difference medium format film cams have over 35mm, but what besides resolution is the advantage of medium format digital over the most recent crop of FF cams. i mean the resolution from the 24mp sensor is stunning, the files are already HUGE and can take gobs of manipulation, while the hardware themselves are relatively compact and can adapt tons of legacy glass. im not that worked up at spending tons of money for huge non-adaptable equipment that produces computer busting files to see cat hairs a little better...like i said, i'm fully prepared to be wrong on this, but i had to ask.

this might indeed be a stupid question, especially from one who does both understand and enjoy the difference medium format film cams have over 35mm, but what besides resolution is the advantage of medium format digital over the most recent crop of FF cams.

The bragging rights ofcourse!
In all seriousness, the larger pixel pitch should allow for better dynamic range and make it easier to design lenses that take full advantage of the resolution on offer. Also, it makes wide angle shallow dof a bit easier to achieve. If they manage to make it fairly small i might be interested in buying a used one down the line, although I think sony is more likely to produce a really small camera with this sensor.

The advantage of Medium Format vs. Full Frame is exactly the same as the advantage of Full Frame vs. APS-C, which is exactly the same as the advantage of APS-C vs. smaller sensors. It's all a continuum of Resolution and available Dynamic Range vs. the tradeoffs of Bulk and Money - and in this case, the Money aspect is made even worse by their being less able to take advantage of economies of scale in manufacturing. There are still some commercial applications that require high quality printed images for billboards and posters. A 50 MP file that has 15+ EV of Dynamic Range can look better than a 36 MP file that has 14 EV of Dynamic Range. Whether it's worth the added cost, YMMV.

and shortly after, theyll release the X670-E (for eliot) which will have a 12mp mf sized sensor that shoots up to 500k, and the files are as clean as iso 2000 on my rx1.
right?
back me up!
LETS DOOOOOO EEEEEEET

hehehe

yeah doug, i fully understand that. i guess my own feeling is that at some point on that 'continuum' the extra mps just really dont make any practical difference for 90% of us. and imo we're just about at that point. of course, others views may rightfully vary, thats what makes a horse race.

It'll be "interesting" to see what the pricing is.

The GF670 film camera Luke mentioned comes in at about USD1700 in the States, I believe (UK price - of course - £1-per-$1)

Skip ff where Sony now has beachhead for best price ff csc --> go for mf in a fixed lens package --> x100 or gf670 like camera body, I love it :). 645 size sensor or bigger, what is there not to like..

Ok now let's see if t real and what the price is going to end up being.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

yeah doug, i fully understand that. i guess my own feeling is that at some point on that 'continuum' the extra mps just really dont make any practical difference for 90% of us. and imo we're just about at that point. of course, others views may rightfully vary, thats what makes a horse race.

Agreed. I am reluctant to buy any camera with more than 16mp. Opening, working with and storing 24-36mp raw files is enough of an issue to cause me to pause. Of course, before long we'll have no choice as the megapixel march continues unabated. But 16 mp - at least for me - is the sweet spot on APS-C and micro four thirds. Full frame? Despite the nice size of the Sony A7 series bodies, you still have to deal with all that big glass. I'm not making money from my photography so I'll pass.

Back