Unsharp pictures? X-T1 + 18-55. Advice needed.

OMG... Please don't tell me that I spent so much cash on a camera that will be producing "soft" results.

If these are JPEGs and you're not happy with the sharpness I would turn the noise reduction down and the sharpness up which may help, but in my opinion you're going to get the best results by shooting RAW and post processing the files.

I have more than a dozen X series cameras and all lenses (sometimes 3+ copies of each lens from different production runs), and I really can't say that my shots are lacking sharpness. My Flickr has plenty of X series samples, and after so far about 15 million Flickr page views, I can't remember a single viewer commenting about any lack of sharpness. OTOH, I remember plenty of positive comments regarding this matter.

If there's anything wrong with the equipment, I'd try another lens just for comparison. Sadly, the samples that were posted here are not helpful on my Retina display. In any case, original RAWs and JPEGs would be required, but even then, it's hard to rule out camera shake, misfocus, a defective camera/lens or the OIS acting up. There's a reason why I recommend switching the OIS off at faster shutter speeds (and mode 2 for all other purposes).

A simple way to test for "lens" sharpness (not 100% correct) is to put the camera on a tripod with a shutter cable connected, in a well lit room and shoot newsprint. This would eliminate suject and user/camera shake and "well lit" being daylight from a nice big window source.

A simple way to test for "lens" sharpness (not 100% correct) is to put the camera on a tripod with a shutter cable connected, in a well lit room and shoot newsprint. This would eliminate suject and user/camera shake and "well lit" being daylight from a nice big window source.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't have a shutter cable... Can the same test be done with the timer set to 10sec?

If there's anything wrong with the equipment, I'd try another lens just for comparison. Sadly, the samples that were posted here are not helpful on my Retina display. In any case, original RAWs and JPEGs would be required, but even then, it's hard to rule out camera shake, misfocus, a defective camera/lens or the OIS acting up. There's a reason why I recommend switching the OIS off at faster shutter speeds (and mode 2 for all other purposes).

Thanks for the comment. Where can I upload the pictures so that everyone could see the originals?

If these are JPEGs and you're not happy with the sharpness I would turn the noise reduction down and the sharpness up which may help, but in my opinion you're going to get the best results by shooting RAW and post processing the files.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did turn the noise reduction to -2...

I'm seriously considering switching to Olympus E-M1. So far I'm quite disappointed with Fuji pictures (of course part of the reason is that I'm a poor photographer but still...)

Another problem I noticed is that X-T1 had lots of problems with focusing on red objects. That Aston Martin car I posted yesterday took several approaches. The camera couldn't focus on it. I don't know why. Besides, the colors are nothing like the real car. Any suggestions as to why?

the crop of the guy with the sticks doesn't look like the focus point was even on him considering the lady next to him was sharper than anything else in the image. and the two musicians were even further away from the lady.

where did you have the focus point at for the police officer?

set your camera on a tripod and focus on something, manually, with focus peaking. display your images here with an image hosting site.

Another problem I noticed is that X-T1 had lots of problems with focusing on red objects. That Aston Martin car I posted yesterday took several approaches. The camera couldn't focus on it. I don't know why. Besides, the colors are nothing like the real car. Any suggestions as to why?

I doubt it had anything to do with the color red - shiny, reflective surfaces can pose problems for many AF systems (both contrast or phase detect). As far as the color, it may be the white balance the camera selected (if you used Auto WB). I find that I'm generally not terribly happy with Auto WB from any camera under artificial lighting, although in my experience the Fujis are better than most.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did turn the noise reduction to -2...

I'm seriously considering switching to Olympus E-M1. So far I'm quite disappointed with Fuji pictures (of course part of the reason is that I'm a poor photographer but still...)

Regardless of what Rico or anyone else says about how sharp their photos are or that they never have any problems, I find (as do many others) that the Fuji X-trans cameras give photos a certain 'look' that differs from bayer sensored cameras. Some like it and some don't. From my perspective (from my experience with the X100S and the X-E1 and 35mm lens which admittedly is less experience than Rico has with the whole gamut of Fuji cameras at his disposal) its a softer look overall than bayer sensor cameras when it comes to fine details at a distance. However, for details at close to moderate distances I find them to be very very sharp and require far less sharpening after the fact than files from a camera with a bayer sensor.

I agree with the others that have suggested more controlled tests on your part in determining whether or not it is indeed an equipment issue you've got or if its simply an issue with the particular photos you've posted. I wouldn't be too hasty to switch camera systems as in my experience the Fuji X-trans cameras do take a little time to adjust to. Despite what I've said above regarding detail in the files, I'm by no means bashing Fuji - I've purchased (and sold) the X-E1 twice and purchased the X100S twice with the X100S now being my primary camera after having sold my entire Canon FF DSLR kit in favor of it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't have a shutter cable... Can the same test be done with the timer set to 10sec?

Sorry for the late reply but...yes hope all is working out for you now?

If the M43 Oly works for you, then just switch but make sure you try first ...you're not the first to experience "focus issues" with the X series (i've read a couple on forums)...in the end it's to please you and so you do what you have to...to get that image that you want.

Back