Upcoming Wedding

Irene McC

Legend
Isn't this nice:

1673895195296.png

Happening this Saturday; holding thumbs for a wind-free day on the seaside dunes in the mountains

Not bad at all.

I'm always figuring a crowdsourced photography for my kind of wedding reception. Like disposable film point & shoots for guests to take, and stuff.

A perspective from a former event shooter:

As long as they understand what they probably won't get. It really matters what their expectations are.

@mike3996 be ready for half the pictures to be of people's hands, feet, half heads, ...... If you can find disposable digital at least you won't have to pay to develop them.

I can't remember working with any couples that had me leave early to have the crowd cover the end, I did have the opportunity to review the output from many disposable cameras. Some of the results were "interesting".

Not bad at all.

I'm always figuring a crowdsourced photography for my kind of wedding reception. Like disposable film point & shoots for guests to take, and stuff.
I went to a wedding like this back in the film days. It was a fun idea. Being a teenager, naturally I took a picture of a roll of TP in the restroom. I hope no one took it any further than that!

So what are you being paid to cover? What are you delivering? The wedding business has changed drastically from my day. Mostly glad I'm out, but I still love the thrill of making a beautiful album.
Oh ☺️ no, I'm not the booked and paid formal photographer. It's my husband's niece's second wedding and will be quite informal. They live within walking of those dunes and the reception will be at their place, guests will just walk up into the dunes for the ceremony.

Basically they are just asking all comers to upload their snaps, cellphone, whatever, after the event onto the wedding app website that can be accessed by all who were invited.

I won't take my whole Nikon big kit along; just a little Fuji and snap a few candids - low stress

I went to a friend's wedding many years ago, when I was in my early twenties. I was asked if I could be one of three guests taking informal pictures that day as there was no official photographer. "Sure," I said, and didn't think much about it until the day of the wedding, when I was sitting enjoying the speeches, getting nicely relaxed with my nose some distance into a glass of wine. People were being thanked for this and that and a few gifts were being handed out.

"... and I'd like to thank Richard and X and Y for taking the pictures today ..." at which point an expensive bottle of whisky was plonked in front of me.

Gulp. I hadn't really taken many pictures at that point and suddenly realised that I needed to sober up and take the whole business more seriously. Which I duly did.

I'm pleased to say that when the bride and groom sent out printed cards later to thank everyone for coming and for the gifts they had received, the image they chose for the front was one of mine, so I didn't let the side down too badly. But it was lesson learnt that when you agree to take informal pictures at a wedding, better bloody do it, and easy on the fizz until later.

As an aside, my best decision that day was to take only my Olympus OM-2 and a Tamron 28-80 zoom. That was all I needed.

-R

I wouldn't take any of it to a windy beach - those dunes didn't walk there themselves :)

Maybe an Olympus Tough camera or something very cheap.
Those dunes didn't walk there themselves! That's classic 🤣

I'll leave the vows and ceremony bit on the dunes to the official person and take candids once back at the reception, methinks. Very true observation about cameras and fine sand not being good bedfellows

I wouldn't take any of it to a windy beach - those dunes didn't walk there themselves :)

Maybe an Olympus Tough camera or something very cheap.
Would depend on the day- if the wind is really bad, would drop a P&S into a plastic bag, save the Nikon or Leica for indoors.

I need to find the pictures from Kitty Hawk, took my Argus/Cosina STL1000 there as a Teen-Ager 50 years ago. It was windy.

I went to a friend's wedding many years ago, when I was in my early twenties. I was asked if I could be one of three guests taking informal pictures that day as there was no official photographer. "Sure," I said, and didn't think much about it until the day of the wedding, when I was sitting enjoying the speeches, getting nicely relaxed with my nose some distance into a glass of wine. People were being thanked for this and that and a few gifts were being handed out.

"... and I'd like to thank Richard and X and Y for taking the pictures today ..." at which point an expensive bottle of whisky was plonked in front of me.

Gulp. I hadn't really taken many pictures at that point and suddenly realised that I needed to sober up and take the whole business more seriously. Which I duly did.

I'm pleased to say that when the bride and groom sent out printed cards later to thank everyone for coming and for the gifts they had received, the image they chose for the front was one of mine, so I didn't let the side down too badly. But it was lesson learnt that when you agree to take informal pictures at a wedding, better bloody do it, and easy on the fizz until later.

As an aside, my best decision that day was to take only my Olympus OM-2 and a Tamron 28-80 zoom. That was all I needed.

-R
I’ve often made comparisons to photography and golf. In golf, I believe there’s a correlation between having a few drinks and playing better, but after a few too many, things take a real turn for the worse. Maybe this one holds true in photography too? 😁

Back