Fuji Upcoming X-T3 Firmware Update Brings AF Performance to X-T4 Levels

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
To our customers

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) plans to release free firmware update for the “FUJIFILM X-T3” (X-T3) on October 28, 2020.

The update will improve the autofocusing performance of the X-T3 to the same level as the “FUJIFILM X-T4” (X-T4). This firmware will boost the AF speed, the camera’s AF tracking performance and the Face / Eye AF. In addition, the size of the AF area can now be adjusted during video recording. The update will bring new life to the X-T3, adding greater speed to make a great camera even better.

Main updated features:​

Due to be released on October 28, 2020
Firmware version: FUJIFILM X-T3(Ver. 4.0)

1. Faster autofocus performance

The fastest AF speed has been improved from 0.06 seconds to 0.02 seconds, equivalent to the performance of the X-T4. The algorithm for predicting subject movements has also been updated which means the expected ‘hit rate’ is now 90% or more , making it even more likely that users will capture that precious moving photo moment.

• AF tracking performance has been doubled*. Press the shutter button halfway down when a subject is in the focus area to maintain focus on the subject with a higher level of accuracy.
  • The Face Tracking / Eye AF performance has also been upgraded. The algorithm has been re-written to double* the tracking performance of the Eye AF in continuous shooting modes. The camera can attain focus on a face or eyes quicker and more accurately even when shooting portraits that involve some movement.
  • The update also allows the camera AF to work in low light levels down to -7EV**, facilitating fast and highly-accurate phase detection AF even in near darkness.
  • The new firmware adds the “Focus Limiter” function which gives a pre-define specific focus range.
*When compared with the Firmware Ver. 3.30
**When using the FUJINON Lens XF50mmF1.0 R WR

2. Miscellaneous

• The size of the Single AF point can be adjusted during video recording.
  • Photo ratings can now be read by third-party software, allowing users to find their favorite pictures quickly.
  • Ratings to images recorded in the [Jpeg + RAW] mode are applied to both Jpeg and RAW files.

Official Fuji Article Here

I have no complaints with the AF on the XT3, but this will be interesting to see!
It's a great example of Kaisen. It does build up unrealistic expectations of what a company can do with firmware updates, especially since so many people think they understand what's involved but really don't. It does instill a subconscious loyalty to a brand, especially since those clear-minded people can get more out of their investment and the influence of gas causes many to update anyway. Fuji's allure for me is that I really like their stuff and my photography operates at a level where I really won't see many differences with technically better cameras.

Last edited:
The obvious example for Sony would be to bring their new menu system for the A7Siii to older cameras. As I mentioned above, however, I have no real idea of how hard this would be.
If I were Sony that would be that last thing to do, you don't drastically change the way users interact with their tools, that will just be wrong. I get it Sony menu is perhaps the worst but if it's working, don't change it completely for existing models, I wish they'd add the option to let me choose the default menu page though.

I applaud Fuji for what they do, on the contrary, we are seeing more and more cameras released with unfinished firmware, usually coming with promises to enable some feature in future updates, that should not be encouraged IMO.

If I were Sony that would be that last thing to do, you don't drastically change the way users interact with their tools, that will just be wrong. I get it Sony menu is perhaps the worst but if it's working, don't change it completely for existing models, I wish they'd add the option to let me choose the default menu page though.

I applaud Fuji for what they do, on the contrary, we are seeing more and more cameras released with unfinished firmware, usually coming with promises to enable some feature in future updates, that should not be encouraged IMO.
I understand your point, but I bet if Sony made the menu update available, many if not most would update the FW. I think they won't because it will be incentive to upgrade.

Back