Software Update news from DxO including Nik.

Sue, I think I paid about twice that many years ago from Nik.
If you create a shortcut to the .exe files of the original modules they will run as standalone apps.
Of course they need to be installed and you have to be 'savvy' about saving your results to avoid overwrites.

Just my thoughts . . .
There were times that I really hoped that Nik software was been updated. I just liked their U point technology. But as time passed by I thought it might be wise to look for an alternative. And by now I don't see their way of selection, once their strong point, as a plus. But maybe the upcoming update might change everything. Another point is that I use Fuji camera's and DxO still don't offer Fuji RAW support.
BTW Affiniy and Nik work fine together. On YouTube you can find many movies how too install. Works perfect, although I only use the image borders sometimes.
As for now I'm testing again Luminar. Been a user since they started but found they just didn't do the things I wanted. But after reinstalled it, with all the new updates, it's not bad at all. At a matter of fact it's good.So far I really like it. Might be an alternative, (but there are many more). Not expensive and all in one program.
Just my thoughts . . .

Sue, I think I paid about twice that many years ago from Nik.
If you create a shortcut to the .exe files of the original modules they will run as standalone apps.
Of course they need to be installed and you have to be 'savvy' about saving your results to avoid overwrites.

Yes, the Nik version was actually 3x more than what google charged. I use a mac so I dont have .exe files. However the modules work just fine here on my mac as standalones and they can be called from Photos and other Photo apps as well. I've been using them as standalone for years.

Just my thoughts . . .
There were times that I really hoped that Nik software was been updated. I just liked their U point technology. But as time passed by I thought it might be wise to look for an alternative. And by now I don't see their way of selection, once their strong point, as a plus. But maybe the upcoming update might change everything. Another point is that I use Fuji camera's and DxO still don't offer Fuji RAW support.
BTW Affiniy and Nik work fine together. On YouTube you can find many movies how too install. Works perfect, although I only use the image borders sometimes.
As for now I'm testing again Luminar. Been a user since they started but found they just didn't do the things I wanted. But after reinstalled it, with all the new updates, it's not bad at all. At a matter of fact it's good.So far I really like it. Might be an alternative, (but there are many more). Not expensive and all in one program.
Just my thoughts . . .

Luminar and AuroraHDR are both great apps. For mac users there's also the Creative Suite which in many ways duplicates the features of the Nik software, except for Viveza which I love. I dont think that Skylum is developing the Creative suite anymore. They might surprise and bring out updated versions. Maybe.

Well, I got the email this morning. The Nik suite has been released at the introductory price of 49 euros (sorry, cant find the symbol on my ipad kb). Looks like it will rise again at some point in the near future. I don't think I will get it, system requirements are greater than they were, and I'm happy enough with the old version.

For now I'm not going to try it myself, (I'm trying Pixelmator) but I will follow your results because I'm curious what they've done with it. On their website they say they only improved the stability. I've never noticed any problems, so I wait and see. I still have, but rarely use, the original NIK that works fine with Affinity.

I've never had any trouble starting the Nik apps as plugins from Lightroom CC, so I don't know what the compatibility issues are that many people have reported. The new version is £39.99 for the next month in the UK, and unknown price after than, so I'll carry on with the old version until it stops. I've been using the Skylum products more and more for conversions/fancy colour treatments so it's not a disaster if Nik stops working sometime.

I just tried to download the " original" free version from the DxO website. After leaving your emailadress you get an email with the download options. They are there for MAC and Windows.

I like Silver Efex... It even works with my custom 16-Bit pixel DNG files from the M Monochrom. Sounds like this version is a port to 64-bit and to update software compatibility. I'll download the trial version, inclined to spend $49 for it if all works. I hate buying software, but have made exceptions. I always paid for Wordstar upgrades. Really getting my money's worth out of Wordstar 6.0.

I paid for it today on the basis it's going to be more expensive and my existing original version is eventually going to be defunct. From what I've seen of it so far, though it is in practical terms exactly the same. I'm actually wondering whether I've thrown money away as I only really used it regularly when editing m43 files which I'm not really using any more.

I thought about paying for it while it’s at the introductory price. Just in case I want to use it in the future. But I have a few weeks to decide.

Back