Fuji Updated Fuji Lens Roadmap Posted

While the 16-55 is a constant 2.8, it's the same a aperture at the wide end and only 1 stop faster than the 18-55 at the tele end. If the 18-55 is supposed to offer 4 stops worth of OIS, that's a 4-stop advantage on the wide end and a 3-stop advantage on the tele end. Not to mention that the 16-55 is rather hefty. To me, OIS should be a no-brainier.

A MAJOR FAIL on Fuji's part IMO.

I guess nobody knows - or if they know, they are not allowed to talk about it - how the 18-55 performs with the new Fuji Sensor. Also nobody knows how the 16-55 performs with or without OIS. I guess if you like OIS the 18-55 is plenty fast enough, isn't it?

most of my shots with the 18-55 are taken with the OIS off. In fact it seems to be generally agreed that shots are sharper with it off providing shutter speed is above 1/30.
Size and weight are more important to me than OIS.

True.

But they are very similar in focal length and limited to 1:2 and 1:1. Both require you to be fairly close to your subject and don't support some of the mind-expanding images that greater magnification allows (tiny crystals, insect eyes, snow flakes, highly magnified textiles and electronics, single water droplets...).

I wish Fuji would release a set of extension rings which maintain the electronic connection to allow for focus, aperture control and greater magnification. There have been reports of damage from third-party solutions. If Fuji did it, it would be reliable. Till then, manual focus with legacy glass is the best option for greater than 1x magnification. If Fuji made them, they could profit from the tubes and more sales of their 1:2 Macro lens which would become 1:1 and beyond.

If the 90 f2 were a macro, that would be amazing. Zeiss has a fabulous 100 f2 Macro, which is also a great portrait lens. This would make pictures of live but easily startled creatures easier to capture, too. Marked focus distance and magnification ratio would be great, too.

And if they made a 1x to 6x lens, they could get a leg up on Canon and school every other brand. Canon makes the only lens of this type I know of.

And since I'm dreaming big...a perspective control lens would be cool. Probably a tilt-shift converter with legacy glass makes more sense here :).

I wish Fuji would release a set of extension rings which maintain the electronic connection to allow for focus, aperture control and greater magnification. There have been reports of damage from third-party solutions. If Fuji did it, it would be reliable.

Could be your X-Mas present.

I agree that a 1.4x and even a 2.0x would be great additions. More functionality without a lot of extra weight. Extra reach for long glass and greater working distance for macro.

And if they develop a teleconverter, they could sell a version without the lenses in it and I would have my extension tube, with any luck in two different sizes. Add one more small one and I would be set :).

If you think about it, a good teleconverter is very hard to develop, since it is a lens and it has to work well with a number of other lenses to sell well.

If you got your wish, I would get mine with a bonus. I change my vote to your wish :).

Back