Updated Personal Website

William Lewis

All-Pro
Name
William Lewis
I'm using the portfolio option at 500px and have, essentially, a first draft finished consisting of black and white landscapes and a quadriptych of seasons. I'm thinking about how to do one of color landscapes and perhaps one of abandoned barns (all usual subjects for me). I you could take a look and perhaps offer advice and or critique I'd appreciate it.

Poetry of Light and Landscape by William Lewis

Thank you.

Looks pretty good to me. I'm viewing it from my mobile, the photos are all showing as single file, scrolling top to bottom.

This type of layout may not work too well if you have many many photos that I'd have to scroll to get to the bottom but I think you've got it just right in the first page, and of course you only have the four seasons on the second page.

One of the reasons to go to a portfolio format is to force me to be better about editing down to a good number. I remembered that the portfolios of Ansel Adams I bought ages ago had about 16 prints per portfolio so for this ~20 seemed a good number to me.

Thank you for the comment!

Hi William.

I dont claim any great expertise. I'm just someone who has spent way to much time over the years fidddling with websites trying to come up with a look I like - which tends to change over time anyway. :)

A couple of suggestions. Looking on my laptop screen I think the black background is a bit too strong for the first set given that the black and white images are quite dark. Maybe you could play around with a shade of grey? Also, does 500px offer a lightbox option? It might be nice to have a lightbox to view the images without the surrounding text.

One other minor thing - you could consider dropping the Portfolio One and Portfolio Two parts of the titles and just have it as 'The Northwoods' and 'Four Seasons'.

Good luck.

Hi William.

I dont claim any great expertise. I'm just someone who has spent way to much time over the years fidddling with websites trying to come up with a look I like - which tends to change over time anyway. :)

A couple of suggestions. Looking on my laptop screen I think the black background is a bit too strong for the first set given that the black and white images are quite dark. Maybe you could play around with a shade of grey? Also, does 500px offer a lightbox option? It might be nice to have a lightbox to view the images without the surrounding text.

One other minor thing - you could consider dropping the Portfolio One and Portfolio Two parts of the titles and just have it as 'The Northwoods' and 'Four Seasons'.

Good luck.
No lightbox, alas. And apparently just all light or all dark - I'll have to see if they have suggestions link as I believe the Portfolio option is new there.

I've decided to try the light look and dropped the "Portfolio" bit from them as well.

Thanks!

Back