Fuji Updated X20 Photos

Yay portraits!!!

Edit: Now... why would someone shoot this at at 1/600th, ISO800? Wouldn't it make more sense to shoot it at 1/80th, ISO100? If it's to show off it's high ISO performance, shooting in actual low-light situations is a better test... similar issues with other portraits in the series.
img_09.jpg

It may have to do with using the DR expansion technology. I could never quite understand that (maybe Rico can explain that), but it somehow increases the dynamic range at the expense of using higher ISO than otherwise necessary for the particular lighting condition. Just a thought.

The portraits look pretty good though. Nice new samples.

It may have to do with using the DR expansion technology. I could never quite understand that (maybe Rico can explain that), but it somehow increases the dynamic range at the expense of using higher ISO than otherwise necessary for the particular lighting condition. Just a thought.

The portraits look pretty good though. Nice new samples.

Yes, pretty much all my work on the X10 is shot in 6mp DR400 ISO100 mode. My shooting and post-processing style benefit from it greatly, and the DR performance of the new X-Trans sensor on the X20 will be the deciding factor on if I upgrade or not.

Yes, pretty much all my work on the X10 is shot in 6mp DR400 ISO100 mode. My shooting and post-processing style benefit from it greatly, and the DR performance of the new X-Trans sensor on the X20 will be the deciding factor on if I upgrade or not.

I would love to hear more about your shooting at PP style. For example, do you compose using the LCD or the viewfinder? If the former, could you see that changing with the X20? In my opinion shooting portraits as you do with so much background in focus requires great skill in regard to composition, which seems like it would be difficult with the X10's OVF.

I would love to hear more about your shooting at PP style. For example, do you compose using the LCD or the viewfinder? If the former, could you see that changing with the X20? In my opinion shooting portraits as you do with so much background in focus requires great skill in regard to composition, which seems like it would be difficult with the X10's OVF.

I like the X10's viewfinder, and thus have no doubt that I'd like the X20's even more. However, the main reason I use the LCD more these days is because I DO shoot at 6mp DR400 mode... having to crop out in post the things you didn't see in the OVF at an already meager megapixel count is stretching it a bit too thin for me. However, if the X20 has the same (or hopefully better) DR performance in 12mp mode, I suspect I'd have no issues at all anymore with using the OVF.

Only when you're shooting at 12mp. At 6mp, DR400, ISO100, the X10 has a (theoretical) dynamic range of 13.3 EV.

An old thread, but anyway...

First of all, let me start by saying I'm a big fan of your work! Really love your style!

Now one question regarding the DR mode: what DR setting are you using with the X100S?

Back