Nikon Updated Z lens roadmap

I wonder if the 70-180 is the Tamron lens for Sony.
135/1.8 . . . drool. But it will probably be a big heavy lens.

They need a 35/1.7 DX & a 60/1.7 DX in the compact primes to go with the 24/1.7 DX.

Won't happen but it's nice to dream as those would make the Zfc perfect for me. I just don't need those big heavy & expensive S lenses for FX. But without more DX lenses, I don't have any compelling reason to change to mirror-less.

They need a 35/1.7 DX & a 60/1.7 DX in the compact primes to go with the 24/1.7 DX.

Won't happen but it's nice to dream as those would make the Zfc perfect for me. I just don't need those big heavy & expensive S lenses for FX. But without more DX lenses, I don't have any compelling reason to change to mirror-less.

Agree; moderate wide (24), normal (35), short/portrait tele (60)

But even F-DX does not have the 24 and 50/60. Only the 35.
I use the F-DX 35/1.8 and the F-FX 50/1.8. Thankfully the F-FX 50/1.8 is a small/light lens, not a BIG/HEAVY lens.

Yes, there has to be a reason/ purpose for changing because the current non mirrorless DX apsc lineup gets you so much.

With the lens investment I have already made? I am more inclined to buy a FF dslr than a mirrorless as it. If I'm going to spend serious money on glass it will be for my primary mirrorless - my Leica M 240 ;)

A Zfc is tempting and would be fun but it will never be my primary camera any more than my D7100 is.

Yes, there has to be a reason/ purpose for changing, because the current non mirrorless DX apsc lineup gets you so much.

I agree with the first half of the sentence.
Old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But the second half depends on what you want/need.
If you only/primarily shoot in daylight, yes, the Nikon F-DX lenses are fine.

But in DIM light, there are only a couple F-DX lenses that will work.
And that is where I ran into problems.

There is no fast F-DX moderate wide, about 24mm.
The ONLY FAST F-DX prime that Nikon made was the 35/1.8. I had to settle for that. Something was better than nothing.
This is my fast companion to the 18-140 GP lens, as a 2-lens kit.

NO ONE makes (current production) a F-DX equivalent of the F-FX 70-200/2.8. This would be a 40-135/2.8, or close to it.
At the time I was shopping, the closest lens was the discontinued Sigma 50-150/2.8 (big and heavy).
So, for me it came down to the Nikon F-FX 24-120/4 or 70-200/4. I went with the 70-200/4.
The Tamron F-FX 35-150/2.8-4, had not yet be released. If the Tamron lens was available, I may have bought it, rather than the Nikon 70-200/4. Tamron has since discontinued that lens :(

Last edited:
Got the complete Z DX lineup as of now, all are really great! Noticed the "kit" lenses don't have "Nikkor" written on them on the barrell side.
Well, now we are just waiting for a premium DX body also to couple with the larger lenses, I think the 18-140 and 50-250 is quite unbalanced on the Z50.

View attachment 395093
Nikon Z DX lenses - June 2023 by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr
Nice line-up; I'm only missing the 50-250mm; to be honest, I don't think that the Z 18-140mm DX feels unbalanced on the Z 50 at all - in fact, on the Z 50, I've yet to find a lens that does, but that may just be me; the Z 50 cretainly appears to fit my hand even better than the Z 6/Z 7 II do ...

M.

I'm currently shooting with this lens constantly. You might not think it's useful for what you do, but once it's on your camera, you'll enjoy it's versatility
I'm sure that's the case, but I own and love the AF-P 70-300mm 4.5-5.6E; it works exceedingly well when coupled to the Z 50 via the FTZ (II) adapter, and balances miraculously well, too (I can shoot the combo fully extended one-handed! Not that that makes a lot of sense ...). Plus I can use it on my Z 6, Z 7 II and D750 as well.

I rarely use long tele anyway, so it'd feel like overkill to own another option - that's why I moved on all my long options for :mu43:, as good as they were, and as great as that system is for shooting long lenses.

I'm also quite happy with the Z 18-140mm DX's long end, so don't often feel the need for a longer lens.

All in all, it's great for the Z 50-250mm DX to exist - it's just not for me (at the moment).

M.

I rarely use long tele anyway, so it'd feel like overkill to own another option - that's why I moved on all my long options for :mu43:, as good as they were, and as great as that system is for shooting long lenses.

I'm also quite happy with the Z 18-140mm DX's long end, so don't often feel the need for a longer lens.
Yes, I also use u43 for long teles. Have the PL 100-400 and the P 35-100/2.8 for that. Two most spectacular lenses very good for what they are for.
Problem is, I don't use it enough to justify having them, I think. Did a comparison shot before:
https://cameraderie.org/threads/show-your-moon-photos.51619/post-502073

The Z DX 50-250 works very well for my use and don't need more than that as of now. It is also a bad time considering this, never have I had less time for photography than now :( but anyway. Considering all the years I have had these lenses I think I should have sold them long time ago. Especially now since I have almost left u43 because of a major issue with (almost) all bodies. Wanted to wait to see what they offer in the future. But it seems it never comes anything :(

Also, since I bought the 24/1.7 I feel the beloved u43 P 20/1.7 hangs loose also. And then.... my current u43 gear, all of them. Some 10 lenses or so. Would be great to have only one system. Don't shoot regularly so it is cumbersome switching systems. Have a hard time to adapt to ONE system :)

Whatever. I had many thoughts after reading your post. Don't know half of it now. And this has not do so much with the Nikon Z lens roadmap. Sorry for that thread admin :) but anyway. Felt good to let the thoughts flow.

He was talking about dedicated DX lenses; it's the lot, really.

There are loads more if you include FX. And yes, the Z 40mm f/2 exists - it's a favourite of mine on FX bodies; I prefer both the Z 28mm f/2.8 and the new Z 24mm f/1.7 DX to it on DX ...

M.

My mistake, I thought the 40/2 was a DX lens.

Back