Leica Upgrade Advice? Summicron 35mm to 50mm APO

Checkm8

Rookie
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've been doing a lot of research online, and getting nowhere in my decision. I currently use a Leica M246 (monochrome) with a SUMMICRON 35mm. I am considering upgrading to a new solo lens, specifically a SUMMICRON APO 50 mm (a hefty price tag, but I'm sold on the specs and limited reviews that praise this lens). That being said, I am comfortable in my ability to compose/frame my shots with the 35mm, and wonder if there will be much of an adjustment/disappointment at 50mm. I'm a serious hobbyist that enjoys street/urban and landscape photography. I would truly value anyone's opinion on this site, particularly if you have any experience specifically with the 50mm APO SUMMICRON. Is it truly as spectacular (other than $$$) as people boast?

Thank you all!

Steve

Welcome to the forum- the APO lens is a masterpiece. I do not own one, but have great respect for the science and engineering that go into the design and construction of it.

I doubt that you will have any problem focusing a 50mm F2 lens on the M246. With the APO lens, focus shift from stopping down the aperture and from using a color filter are virtually non-existent. These factors need to be considered with most lenses on a rangefinder camera, making them more difficult to use than the APO Summicron.

As a comparison: for my 50mm F1.5 Sonnars: I have one optimized for use with a deep-yellow filter, wide-open on the M Monochrom. When adjusting the shim on the lens, did it with the filter on the lens to hit the focus exactly. Without the filter, it will front-focus.

Back