Micro 4/3 Upgraded to the latest PEN! (No, not OM-D.)

Hyubie

Top Veteran
I know I haven't been active on the forum for quite some time now. Just an update - last May I decided to go for the E-PM1, see what the faster AF and other upgrades are on the new PENs. Here's one of the keepers I had using that camera:

7206907640_b28a64f12f_c.jpg

Julia in New Jersey

I decided the AF is indeed much improved, but as the days went by I really felt restricted by the screen, so I returned it in exchange for an E-PL3, and that has been my main camera since then. Even my 6-year old daughter has taken a liking to it, claiming it as her own. ("Dad, why are you using my camera?! You're using up space in the card!") Here are a few pics using the E-PL3:

7212168556_d5c95e1013_c.jpg

Taken by said 6-year old girl, with some PP by me.

7559570796_3c51b2e105_c.jpg

Last week we were at the beach everyday. After a day's work, why not?

7559571006_99b2b45e85_c.jpg

Using an adapted Sigma 55-200 for Canon EOS.

7577526342_9f20be8711_c.jpg

Outside @ about 11PM, with only a small bulb at the deck. Again using the Sigma lens.

I do have to say I've been surprised by the little E-PM1. After adding a grip to it and sticking to smaller primes I've found I actually enjoy shooting with the E-PM1 as much or more than my other Pen cameras (E-P1, E-PL1s, and E-P3). The compact size and surprising speed make it perfect for catching those candid moments that only last for a second or two.

P7100281-L.jpg

I do have to say I've been surprised by the little E-PM1. After adding a grip to it and sticking to smaller primes I've found I actually enjoy shooting with the E-PM1 as much or more than my other Pen cameras (E-P1, E-PL1s, and E-P3). The compact size and surprising speed make it perfect for catching those candid moments that only last for a second or two.

View attachment 3854

Feeling the same way about the E-PM1. I spontaneously reach for it instead of the arguably more capable E-P3. Something to be said for simplicity...

Very nice, Hyubie. Great sharpness and clarity.

I recently picked up one of these to replace my trusty old E-PL1. I actually quite like the stripped down interface and shrunken size although it can be a bit slippery to handle in it's unmodified form. After my E-M5 I'm not too sure what I want my longer term Micro 4/3 line-up to be just yet, so for the time being I'm just going to leave it "naked". The AF speed of the E-PM1 was perfect for the Medieval Festival that I took it along to on the weekend before last. After having used mostly the E-M5, Panasonic GH1, and Canon G1X recently I did find the fixed screen to be a little awkward, since my first instinct now is to hold a camera down near my waist. Thankfully though it's light weight made it easy to hold it out either in front of or above a crowd to get a better vantage point. After using the E-PM1 I do like the idea of keeping it as a super compact Micro 4/3 body, but I am also loathe to sell the GH1 which leaves me with three bodies when the intention was to keep just two...

Thanks, Nic and Kyle.

Regardnig the E-PM1's size, I actually thought it through a lot before I finally decided to return the E-PM1. I was lucky enough to see an E-PL3 in person before returning it, so I had something to compare to. The E-PM1's compactness is really one if its biggest draws. But again, the E-PL3's screen won out. One annoying thing though is that my unit has one of those date-reset bugs -- whenever I replace the battery the date resets. I need the date properly set because my Lightroom library is auto-stored by date. But I've learned to accept it - I don't want to return it because I have no backup camera.

BTW - my daughter used the Olympus 45mm to get that shot of the flower, and that's still one of my favorite pictures from that amazing lens.

Such wonderful lighting, color, and choice of focus in your first - just love it, but I think you already know that. Your daughter has inherited her great eye from you - how wonderful to share the art with her. I've been rather remiss about keeping up on here and on Flickr, but will try harder...summertime is a busy one, but I apologize.

By all accounts the E-PL3 seems like a super camera. I know I'd enjoy that screen a great deal...as it kind of reminds me of the way one used to look down into the ground glass.... I'm afraid I've never seen it in real life nor the E-PM1, jjjphoto however you did catch your little fellow in the act beautifully! I'm on a camera buying diet.:eek:;)

Well, I must say that as much I love the OMD as much it isn't going with me as often as I expected, it is too heavy and bulky, I got the GRD IV but then if I had been more toughtful I could well have got the EPM with a 14mm...

It's amazing to me that Olympus outfitted the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 with the same output and fast AF. The E-P3 looks great and has obviously the best interface, but the E-PM1 is an absolute bargain right now.

It's amazing to me that Olympus outfitted the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 with the same output and fast AF. The E-P3 looks great and has obviously the best interface, but the E-PM1 is an absolute bargain right now.

I also have all 3 new pen configurations.
My intent was to sell the E PM1 after getting the E PL3, but i just ordered another Gariz case ( they are interchangeable) so I will probably keep all three. They each have a place but take equally good pics.

The actual camera itself was a bit too small for my hands, but I always loved the feel of the E-PM1. It always felt to have been made to a much higher quality than it's entry-level price tag suggested.

Back