Apple Uploading from iPad to Lightroom

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I have Lightroom on an external hard drive...not sure if that really matters regarding this question. How do you, or do you, move your photos from your iPad into Lightroom?

I did a little searching and found some info about Photosmith, but thought I'd ask you all before I delved any deeper.

Any suggestions?

Dropbox, or a similar cloud service (copy, sugar sync, amazon, google drive) are probably your best wireless way to transfer.

Photosmith has some built in Dropbox functionality. As fun as it was to work with Photosmith on the ipad, I didn't find that it saved me any time in the long run.

How are you enjoying that ipad?

I have Lightroom on an external hard drive...not sure if that really matters regarding this question. How do you, or do you, move your photos from your iPad into Lightroom?

I did a little searching and found some info about Photosmith, but thought I'd ask you all before I delved any deeper.

Any suggestions?

When I was still doing Lightroom, I found Photosmith to be the only logical option. Do it!

Thanks you two. I'll probably try the Photosmith thing and see what happens.

Chris, I like the iPad very much... It's great for pping my iPhone-o-graphs with Snapseed...and I love how if one is in the Apple world that the different entities all work together... I also much prefer texting on the iPad.:D Also have found it quite handy for watching Netflix movies - like House of Cards - when my TV with the blue ray access is otherwise occupied with luge races....and have to admit I do like reading on it, too...especially in bed.

Yesterday I used Snapseed on the iPad to pp a photo I'd taken with my X10, did some work with Silver Efex but found an extra little tweak with Snapseed made it all the better...so yes, I am enjoying it! How many years did it take me to buy one Sue?:rofl:

BB, what are you actually trying to do? Photosmith is great if you want to sort, rate, keyword or tag images in a way that Lightroom can read. If all you want to do is get the images you've got on the iPad off it on to a PC or Mac you don't need anything but the USB cable.

Gordon

When I use my iPad to hold photos, I treat the iPad copy of my files as a backup to the originals on the card, and my manipulation of them is just via PhotoRaw to export jpgs for emailing etc while traveling. The files on the cards don't get erased till they, plus another backup, are safely copied onto my main computer, and that is the when they get into lightroom. So for me it works best to treat any iPad photos as temp backup, some fun with quick edits and emails, and all to be deleted once my memory cards get to my main lightroom.

Right, thank you all. All I want to do is move them into Lightroom. I'm such an ignoramus, Gordon, that I didn't think of a USB cable!:doh: And yes, Bruce - I'd love to do it wirelessly (and I do have a Macbook Pro) because I've been so spoiled using my iPhone and now the iPad and Flickrstackr.

So you see for iPhone-o-graphy I haven't used an SD card... Once I get back into my other cameras, I do have the camera connection...but I'd still want to get any photos I'd edited off my iPad and ultimately into Lightroom if I were being smart about it.

I'm another that uses Dropbox to move files between different computers and my IPad .
It's also a great way to allow relatives to access photos they might want by offering them a link to the files.

I use my ipad away from the computer in another room, and in the study, I usually have my phone plugged in, or the ipad Mini. Thats why I said Lightroom + Photosmith was the way to go. If you are uploading originals *to* the ipad, its just as easy to do the sorting and tagging in photosmith as taking the ipad to the computer to unload to lightroom. I guess the good thing is that with photosmith you can dump the dross before it even gets to lightroom. All depends on you "workflow". I dont really have one. Everything into iPhoto and all editing done with PS and/or its plugins. I rarely do anything much with the ipad now, so I'm nearly about to sell it (and the mini as well) in anticipation of a larger screened iphone in october. No need for so many idevices. Imagine, all the money could now be spent on cameras. LOLOL!

Hi, BB:

Glad the iPad is treating you well! Mine, alas, is in eclipse....and when I went to the Apple Store to replace it, I came away with a 13" MacBook Pro instead. :redface:

When I was traveling extensively for work, I used the iPad for touching up JPEGs for immediate use, primarily with Snapseed. However, I always kept the originals (RAW + JPEG usually) on the SD card and loaded them into Lightroom on my desktop computer when I returned home.

Now, I'd be more inclined to use Dropbox as suggested above by Chris. But I'd probably still keep the originals on the SD card - better safe than sorry.

Enjoy!

Back