Nature Urban nature

Z50_1671.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

EM530355.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After sighting the parent (probably the father) nearby yesterday, I came across the nest with the chick standing in it seemingly unfazed, even though there were quite a few humans less than 10 metres away (another photographer among them - she was waiting for the parents to come back to feed the chick).

Sad background story: The recent heavy hailstorms have killed two of the three chicks, as well as left the surviving one traumatised: It should have flown a couple of days ago, but still doesn't dare to. The lady who owns the garden the tree with the nest is in told us all about it. One of its dead siblings is still in the nest, and not even the local experts can think of a way of removing it before the last chick has flown; when I was watching, it actually tried to lift (or revive?) its dead brother or sister so that, for a short moment, two beaks were visible. I still was too far away when it happened ... But somehow, after hearing the story, I wouldn't have found it appropriate to post that image anyway.

M.

Back