Documentary Urban Unquiet - Modern Dystopia

R0007625.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oregon, my adopted home state, is a region of extremes - extreme liberalism, and just plain extremism as well. And, like most states in the United States, one encounters extreme expressions about firearms. In many "blue" (more liberal) states, there is a movement to ban the sale of assault weapons; in many "red" states, they are championed with what at times seems a near quasi-religious fervor. This bumper sticker is making a pun, in an obvious way, about the spelling of "Oregon".

GX9_Feb10_23_Oregunian#1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oregon, my adopted home state, is a region of extremes - extreme liberalism, and just plain extremism as well. And, like most states in the United States, one encounters extreme expressions about firearms. In many "blue" (more liberal) states, there is a movement to ban the sale of assault weapons; in many "red" states, they are championed with what at times seems a near quasi-religious fervor. This bumper sticker is making a pun, in an obvious way, about the spelling of "Oregon".

View attachment 365051
Miguel, I think the Rule of Law never really took hold in the USA, unfortunately.

From the outside, it looks very much like a dysfunctional dystopia ... :( 😭 .

It's not in America's DNA, after all. We did revolt.
Andrew, all civilized societies are based on, and respect, the three great pillars:
  • The Doctrine of the Rule of Law;
  • The Doctrine of the Natural Justice; and
  • The Doctrine of Legitimate Expectation.
These cannot be legislated, as these concepts exist outside of government.

Every society must make the effort to implement these things at a personal and community level, and, above all, to insist that their governments aspire to these Doctrines.

They certainly cannot be attained or enforced by force of arms, even though force may be necessary to defend such values, once achieved.

However, we stray towards forbidden territory on this, and most other fora.

Last edited:
Andrew, all civilized societies are based on, and respect, the three great pillars:
  • The Doctrine of the Rule of Law;
  • The Doctrine of the Natural Justice; and
  • The Doctrine of Legitimate Expectation.
These cannot be legislated, as these concepts exist outside of government.

Every society must make the effort to implement these things at a personal and community level, and, above all, to insist that their governments aspire to these Doctrines.

They certainly cannot be attained or enforced by force of arms, even though force may be necessary to defend such values, once achieved.

However, we stray towards forbidden territory on this, and most other fora.
John, take it easy. My comment was in jest, but it's also not so hard to observe something which disagrees with your principles without lecturing.

This is true, but you put up a straw man to tear down, after acknowledging you are an outside observer. Americans can dissect our dysfunction quite well :rolleyes:

I get it, some subjects are viscerally frustrating.
Not a straw man argument at all, Andrew.

These are universal principles, that hold true under all circumstances, whether human or not.

It is probably best to leave it there.

Back