Documentary Urban Unquiet - Modern Dystopia

Guys, I think I have not made my point clear enough - I was referring to the thread, not the sticker with my "hawk eye" remark. But I concur, we're pretty safe from going for each other's throat on this board. I only said it because discussions like this *can* (not: have to) get out of hand when people get passionate about some aspects. And I know I am when it comes to the fundamentals of our society.

M.

Andrew, I have no argument with anything you say, other than your first two sentences.

The rest is not relevant in any way to the existence and meaning of those three philosophical doctrines, which exist in spite of everything else you wrote, rather than because of any of it.

Throw in a dose of money/power/sex/religion, and you end up with almost any evil of which humans are capable, in any age.
I'm not arguing "for" or "against" any set of values or beliefs, just pointing out that the ones we all more or less hold these days are minority views in terms of the whole historical picture of humanity. I think it can help reconcile us with our history, rather than put us at odds with it, like much of the writing and teaching about history and historical philosophies does today. It's at least interesting to view common problems through very different lenses sometimes.

Z50_3449.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

I'm not arguing "for" or "against" any set of values or beliefs, just pointing out that the ones we all more or less hold these days are minority views in terms of the whole historical picture of humanity. I think it can help reconcile us with our history, rather than put us at odds with it, like much of the writing and teaching about history and historical philosophies does today. It's at least interesting to view common problems through very different lenses sometimes.
von Clausewitz (IIRC) "Those who refuse to learn from the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them."

[Edit] Actually, Edmund Burke (1729-1797). See here:

[End edit]

Applies to lots of human behaviours ... :( .

Last edited:
Back