US members: FSA historical photo archives available online

pdh

Legend
As many people know the FSA (Farms Security Administration) in the USA sent both teams of and individual photographers across the country to document the state of the nation's rural communities during the 1930s and 1940s/

Many "iconic" images emerged from this programme, and some equally stellar photographers worked for the FSA - Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans and Gordon Parks amongst them.

I'm sure many of us are familiar with the programme, and with some of of the more famous images that emerged, but Yale University have now made them available online here FSA Archive

I expect this is of most interest to US members of TPL, but the scope of the project and the results are astonishing enough for any of us anywhere to want to browse.

Super cool stuff, thanks!

I wonder if full resolution versions are available elsewhere... e.g., I can order high resolution archive scans from my local historical society.

I wish I would have been alive to take advantage of the pre-war North Platte, Nebraska nightlife!

8b14115v.jpg

Mildred Irwin, entertainer in saloon at North Platte, Nebraska. She entertained for twenty years in Omaha before coming to North Platte

Photographer: John Vachon
Created: October 1938

Back