Fuji Used x-pro2 with mark on sensor - should I keep it?

Benzy

Would you keep a used camera with a mark on the sensor, try to negotiate the price down, or just send it back?

I received a used x-pro2 from a major NYC retailer. The item was rated 9 and cost $1399. I inspected the sensor immediately and there was some major streaks as if a shoddy attempt at cleaning it has been made. I was able to blow out some dust but what concerns me is a speck/mark in the sensor. If you look at the pic it's at the upper-mid left edge. I think it is a permanent mark.

No evidence in the images other than when using a tele at f/10 and down I see a black dot at the Lower Left of the image, which I think corresponds to the mark. Do I have that right, or is it unrelated/dust in the lens?

Kind of bummed because the camera is in otherwise stellar condition with about 2400 estimate clicks (from file #'s). And I just can't stomach paying $300 more for a new one.

IMG_6290.JPG
DSCF2543.JPG

It could just be a streak left from cleaning. I'd call them and say you're not happy but would be prepared to keep the camera if they can sort out the streak. They need to cover postage of course.

Would you keep a used camera with a mark on the sensor, try to negotiate the price down, or just send it back?

I received a used x-pro2 from a major NYC retailer. The item was rated 9 and cost $1399. I inspected the sensor immediately and there was some major streaks as if a shoddy attempt at cleaning it has been made. I was able to blow out some dust but what concerns me is a speck/mark in the sensor. If you look at the pic it's at the upper-mid left edge. I think it is a permanent mark.

No evidence in the images other than when using a tele at f/10 and down I see a black dot at the Lower Left of the image, which I think corresponds to the mark. Do I have that right, or is it unrelated/dust in the lens?

Kind of bummed because the camera is in otherwise stellar condition with about 2400 estimate clicks (from file #'s). And I just can't stomach paying $300 more for a new one.

View attachment 9088 View attachment 9090

Before you send it back, are you wiling to try and clean it yourself? It looks like a good cleaning (3 - 4 swabs) might get the job done.

Thanks for the replies. I filed an RMA claim and requested they pay for return shipping.

Started weighing the cost of a new xp2 vs xt2 and I decided to try an xt2.

Back