Fuji Using 3rd party speedlites & sync cord

les-star

Regular
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to use TTL mode with other company sync cords? I know the Canon sync cable works as I have tested with my EF-20 and also with an old Nikon SB-20 unit (which fires but only in manual mode). I've tried testing using my SB-900 unit and Canon sync cord but the flash does not fire.

Has anyone tried using Nikon's SC-29 sync cord paired with SB900? If so, would the AF-assist feature work? Also, would the SC-29 work in TTL when paired with the EF-20 & would the AF assist feature work or is this wishful thinking? If it does work, I'm buying the SC-29 pronto! This would be a welcoming addition especially in poor lighting situations.

Please advise! Thanks in advance

I have a Vivitar brand Nikon TTL sync cable I've tested with, and it does not work with the X-E1 and EF-X20 unless it's in manual mode. It does fire the flash if set to TTL, but it fires at 1/1 every time as far as I can tell. I haven't tried my Nikon lights but I'm sure they would only fire in manual mode since the TTL isn't compatible.

Related question, does a Canon TTL cable work for Fuji TTL? I'd like to find a cable I can use with the Fuji cameras and the EF-X20 (and any other Fuji flashes I pick up in the future).

I use nikon SB-24. Works great but needs to be manually set.
This is an example:
p1836743145-4.jpg

Canon TTL cables are pin-compatible, but pretty expensive. There are plenty of cheaper clones, but many of them don't work well due to alinpgnment issues (bad build quality).

Related question, does a Canon TTL cable work for Fuji TTL? I'd like to find a cable I can use with the Fuji cameras and the EF-X20 (and any other Fuji flashes I pick up in the future).

Yes, I've been using a Yongnuo cable made for Canon flashes with my EF-20 and TTL works just fine. Mind you this was on my x100s. When I have time I'll see if I can test on my friends X-e1. I can't see it being any different though.

Has anyone had any experience with using 3rd party (Yongnuo, Metz, nissin, etc) speedlites that claim to be TTL compatible direct on hotshoe? If so, which model? Looking for an alternative option other than the EF-42.

Yes, I've been using a Yongnuo cable made for Canon flashes with my EF-20 and TTL works just fine. Mind you this was on my x100s. When I have time I'll see if I can test on my friends X-e1. I can't see it being any different though.

Cool, I also have an X100S and I use Yongnuo flashes and radio triggers already on my Nikon, so I'd be fine with a Yongnuo brand cable. I would assume X-E1 and X100S would work the same at least with regards to TTL flash.

Has anyone had any experience with using 3rd party (Yongnuo, Metz, nissin, etc) speedlites that claim to be TTL compatible direct on hotshoe? If so, which model? Looking for an alternative option other than the EF-42.

Does anyone actually make TTL compatible flashes for Fuji? I thought the EF-42 was the only game in town if you want TTL.

Does anyone actually make TTL compatible flashes for Fuji? I thought the EF-42 was the only game in town if you want TTL.

I've came across Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 and Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 50 AF-1 for Nikon and Fuji. Says for Fuji S5 pro and S3 pro. Wonder if it would work with the X series bodies? What intrigues me is the USB port for on board firmware updates and can be used as a wireless slave. No mention of a sync port though.

Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 50 AF-1 for Nikon - Gadget Infinity
Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 for Nikon - Gadget Infinity

I've came across Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 and Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 and Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 50 AF-1for Nikon and Fuji. Says for Fuji S5 pro and S3 pro. Wonder if it would work with the X series flashes. What intrigues me is the USB port for on board firmware updates and can be used as a wireless slave. No mention of a sync port though.

Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 50 AF-1 for Nikon - Gadget Infinity
Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 for Nikon - Gadget Infinity

The Fuji S5 and S3 are based off Nikon bodies so I believe they are compatible with the Nikon flash system including TTL, unlike the X series.

I believe we only have the 3 options (EF-20, EF-42, EF-X20) that are compatible with X cameras & TTL right now.

I've came across Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 and Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 44 AF-1 and Metz Mecablitz i-TTL Flash 50 AF-1for Nikon and Fuji. Says for Fuji S5 pro and S3 pro. Wonder if it would work with the X series flashes. What intrigues me is the USB port for on board firmware updates and can be used as a wireless slave. No mention of a sync port though.

Without doing any research I foolishly bought the 44 AF-1.. Only works via trigger & in manual mode.

Back