Fuji Using non-Fuji Flashes with X-Pro 1 and X-T20

Dave Jenkins

Regular
The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains
Name
Dave Jenkins
I recently sold most of my Canon equipment and purchased an X-Pro 1 and X-T20 and a few lenses. I still have a Canon 580EXII flash and several Nikon SB28 units which I use both on-camera and in multiple flash setups. I also have several Yongnuo 622C transceivers.

I programmed both cameras with the flash settings I normally use for weddings --
manual exposure, ISO 800, 1/125th second, f8.

I tried both types of flash on each camera and ran into the following problems:

1. Both flashes and the transceivers work on the X-Pro 1, but nothing works on the X-T20.

2. On both cameras, when a flash is mounted with the above settings, the LCD/EVF are almost totally dark in normal room light. I can point the camera at a window or light source and see it, but otherwise, nothing.

Is there a setting that will enable me to use the EVF while shooting flash? Do these cameras require a Fuji-dedicated flash?

Unless I can solve these problems, I'm not going to be able to use the cameras for weddings and other work that requires flash on camera. So any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

In the menu, there is a screen set up section. In there is a setting for preview exposure/white balance. And another setting for preview pic effect. Go in those menus and turn them off.

Thanks for the help, Bobby. The dark viewfinder problem was easily solved on both cameras by turning OFF "Preview Exposure in Manual Mode," as you suggested. I had no trouble getting the X-Pro 1 to fire my Canon and Nikon flashes, but the E-T20 was more difficult. Here's what I found:

Go to the menu for "Flash Setting." Choose "Flash Function Setting" and press the right selector button on the back of the camera. This brings up a screen called "Sync Terminal." In the upper left is a box that says either "Off" or "M." If it's "Off," turn the Rear Command Dial to bring up "M." This will also open a small panel called "Sync" in the lower right of the screen. Navigate to it via the selector buttons, then use the Rear Command Dial to choose front or rear curtain sync. Press the "Back" button to exit.

My Canon 580EXII will only expose properly in Manual mode. The Nikon SB28s will work in Auto mode, but underexposes by about a stop. They work just fine in Manuel.

I'm going to post the instructions for using 3rd party flashes on the X-T20 in a separate thread to make it easier for people to find.

Back