Apple Using the iPad as a Photo Accessory

BB why don't you come up to Lunenburg in early August then Bill and I will give you a demonstration on the finer points of the iPad. After we can go drink beer and take pictures or is it take pictures and drink beer. :rolleyes:

Grant, forgive me, I only just saw this generous offer and here it is August 1st! I wish I were able to get up there straight away, but I can't right now. My spirit is willing but my flesh is weak...or maybe it's that I am going away in about two weeks to North Carolina's Outer Banks? Maybe we can swing it in the fall? I need to figure out what my offspring is doing so that she can be charged with animal care at home. I bet Lunenburg shines come autumn!

I can't wait to hear and see pictures from Bill Gordon's visit with you and yours up there! Well, up there for me anyway.:D

Well today I finally did a little Snapseed research. I either didn't know or forgot :confused::redface: that Snapseed is made by Nik Software! My desire for the iPad is growing day by day... Next question is does one get 3G or not? I think it's probably wiser to buy it with 3G and not use it than regret it at a later date. Hmmm...my anniversary is coming up...and it's always good to give to oneself, isn't it?

How many GB is yours Grant? I'm trying to understand the "greatness" or value of GB for the iPad. I guess books take up a bunch of room...even though this is an "as a Photo Accessory" thread.

I'm assuming that most people don't store their photographs on the iPad for long but use it to access a website where they've uploaded them....but I guess it has some sort of My Photos storage. I really need to read more.

If you're going to use it for photography then you may as well get the 64GB version. You won't be upset if you have a bit too much room but if you run out..........

I have just returned from Norway where i used my iPad as my primary storage device. I have 30-35GB left on my 64GB iPad after programs, books, movies, magazines etc. Every night or so I uploaded my photos onto two devices (iPad and portable hard drive). Then I formatted and reused the cards. I culled the pictures on the iPad but not on the larger portable drive. So I ended up with two copies of the "keepers" and at least one of the rest. I shot just over 3.5K pictures in 5 weeks. About 1K are still on the iPad now. The IPS panel in the iPad was great for viewing and culling. I used Snapseed and Photosmith to sort and rate images for when I got home as well as uploading a few to Flickr. Most nights I would loose the iPad. Usually I would "find" it in my wife's hands, surrounded by a large group going over and critiquing the days shoot. The easiest way to find a missing iPad is to follow the sound of the "oooh's" and "ahhh's".

As an aside, while we were away my 9 year old took 4 books to read on the trip. She finished three of those on the plane. It was a real benefit to be able to buy and download the next Molly Moon book in the series for her so she could continue her newfound love of books. In the end, the iPad meant she was able to finish an additional 4 books while away.

Gordon

Books are (usually) text, hundreds of them take little space. Photobooks are different.

I'm assuming that most people don't store their photographs on the iPad for long but use it to access a website where they've uploaded them....but I guess it has some sort of My Photos storage. I really need to read more.
Guilty. Meaning that i both keep a LOT of my processed pics on the iPad AND that I use the iPad for intermediate choosing which pics survive (and if you shoot RAW it's very good to empty your cards into it), even do some postprocessing and eventually importing from the iPad to Lightroom. At that moment I delete the imported folders from the iPad freeing up space, then after Lightroom postprocessing an iPad-sized (2048x1536) copy get synced back to the iPad.
Last time I checked I had more than 10k pics synced on my iPad, using less than 9GB. I usually have about 35GB free so that I can always dump a whole card into the iPad (and use it while it slowly imports the RAW+JPG)

Hope this helps.

Back