Fuji Using the X-T1 for Video

I was in Phoenix last week for a few bookings, and decided to make a video portrait of one of the girls I would be working with. The video implementation on the X-T1 (and the X series as as a whole) really just seems like an afterthought. The camera makes pretty much every decision in terms of exposure, save for aperture... it will auto-select ISO from 200-1600, as well as shutter speed. As a workaround, I used a variable ND filter in front of the 35mm f/1.4 and 60mm f2/.4, basically darkening the exposure until the camera was choosing (what looked like) a shutter speed about double of the framerate, which is what you usually want when filming for smooth motion. It wasn't an exact science at all, and in some of the scenes you can clearly see the camera using a slower or faster shutter speed. I shot in Pro Neg STD so that I'd have some latitude in post for simple color grading. As far as the shooting itself, I tended to use the X-T1's EVF more than the articulating screen... in harsh sun it's much easier, and shooting the camera with three points of contact allows for more stability (think Zacuto's Z-Finder, or a loupe) at least for me.

After looking at the results, it's incredibly frustrating that Fuji hasn't included full manual control over video yet. It's not exactly class leading in it's quality, but it's still VERY GOOD video when the camera is tricked into the right settings. The performance is decent, the video quality is more than acceptable... why cripple the feature? I'm not an engineer, but to me, apart from the rudimentary UI needed, it seems like having manual controls would be easier on a camera than a automated mode that adapts to changing light. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Fuji, work your firmware magic and let the user make the decisions regarding ISO and shutter speed.

X-T1 + 35mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.4, 18mm f/2, and X100S:
https://flic.kr/p/mULC4N

What is the frame rate for the Fuji cameras, 30fps? Does that mean that you're pretty much always shooting video at ISO 1600? (since I would assume as you use the vari-ND to darken exposure the camera compensates by boosting ISO rather than dropping the shutter to 1/60 sec). Also, does the camera lock focus upon starting to record or does it continue to search for focus if, for example you have Continuous focus enabled? I've never bothered to shoot video on my X100S since I've always had a 5DII with Magic Lantern (which I no longer have as I plan to move to the X-T1) Video has never really been a priority for me though - I'd be plenty happy with the results you're getting.

Honestly... I have no idea what the parameters are in terms of WHEN the X-T1 decides to boost ISO or lower shutter speed. I merely start rolling, adjust the ND filter until it's JUST dark enough to show what seems to be a viable shutter speed. Thankfully, the X-T1 has great ISO performance and that seems to carry over into video as well.

The camera will infact try to lock focus and maintain it while filming.... even face detection works... but all in a fashion. All that fantastic AF performance of the X-T1 suffers a MASSIVE speed and accuracy loss when shooting video. I tend to prefer shooting with manual focus when doing video anyway, and I did the same with the X-T1. Unfortunately, the electronic manual focus of the X lenses just don't feel as intuitive or responsive as mechanically coupled lenses. I can definitely see using my adapter to for classic Nikon glass should Fuji decided to at manual control at some point.

Wait until you try to sync it with another camera or external sound...I'll save you the suspense...it won't . The ex-1 has no trouble with sync. Frustrating that Fuji seems to be going the wrong way with video implementation. I have heard from Fuji unofficially that a fix may be coming in the next firm ware update. The Ex-2 suffers the same video drift. Don't know about the 100s (which shares the same chip). Personally, I have had very good results with video quality on the Xs in a locked down, controlled light setting. It fairs very well against my 5D 3 for color quality. But without a reliable way to sync external sound, I can't use it as a real interview camera. Frustrating because it is soooo close . Please tell Fuji if video matters to you. I'm not sure they are convinced that video people want this camera.

i think fuji is a long way especially for being more photocentric - no decent video codec and some ugly moire, etc. i just hope the a7s uncompressed 4k out will be 10bit and not 8bit (minimum for broadcast is 10bit). but i think it's still going to be plagued by aliasing and moire as the a7r is. so far, the 5d3 is the best at this for a photo camera. but no 4k. there is raw with ML, but that workflow sucks. the d800 got a recent hack which will require an anti-aliasing filter. but that and the 5d3 are just too big. a sony sensor and a small body would be great.

even if fuji improved video with full manual exposure and/or codecs, etc., if they stick with the xtrans sensor which it seems to benefit off not having an anti-aliasing filter, i believe it would still suffer from aliasing and moire. that could be a reason why fuji could still care less about any decent video with these xtrans cameras.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I wouldn't describe myself as anti-video, but it is certainly NOT an attraction for me. I have dabbled over the past 20 years with dedicated equipment and in-built feature sets alike and I can honestly say that I have never produced a single second of video that was worth the viewing. It is not a medium I enjoy and I am happy to have it unobtrusive to non-existent in my Fujis.

Indeed, it is nice to have a camera pretty well dedicated to the art of the still image instead of a compromise, and I would be very happy (and pay more) for a variant with no video or sound recording capability whatsoever.

Sent from another Galaxy

i actually like that fuji is more photocentric and bought into it just for photos. i don't like breaking down a video rig just to take a photo. i prefer having another (video) camera dedicated for video. but sometimes when you see through that fujinon glass, you think how awesome it could be for video.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Lightmancer- if you would pay MORE to not have video- then you could be described as anti- video ;). I get it. I can see why video may seem like cupholders on a Ferrari to professional photographers. To Independent film makers however, this feature is a revolution. It changes everything. Now to have Fujifilm lending their expertise to the market is very exciting indeed. We have been using fujifilm film stock for years. I really hope fuji sees the opportunity of instant acceptance here. I think the x-trans sensor is the perfect place to start. The camera has clearly been accepted by professional photographers and couple of tweaks in the firmware could mean acceptance in the indi film world too. Romi.gilles - the anti aliasing and moire has not been as bad as I thought once I get the image into my computer. I can see you have an understanding of what makes these workable or not, but I sometimes wonder if the comments from reviewers about video quality were made based on camera playback on the tiny fuji viewer , and not from actual editing on a computer screen. I agree with everything you said about the missing filters though. Perhaps the hardware is just not up to the needs of video yet.

Also Romi I bought the 70d and prefer it to my 5D3 for video because of the face recognition auto-focus and touch screen rack focus while rolling. If you haven't tried it, you owe yourself a look.

I spoke to a Fuji tech trainer and even he asked the engineers to make a better movie mode with manual controls and such. I think it's inevitable just whether if it's too late or not.

one of the main reasons why I own a GX7 but have a borrowed X-E2 is because I gotta do video that involves crazy lights, if only the X-T1 and the GX7 had a baby.

mitchell, it's not my camera - it's my buddy's. i'm not particularly a canon person. and i don't know how good the 70d is in low light, but the 5d3 is really good for that. plus, i'm sure he wouldn't want to use any sort of auto-focusing for video because, like me, we both prefer pulling focus, ourselves:

View attachment 20322

Fuji 2.0 update fixes video drift!
Now syncs with audio!

Still don't know if the 100s suffers from drift problem. I can only guess that next X-T1 update will fix this as well.

Back