Micro 4/3 Using type II HighRes hand held with G9 and 12-35

Full image is from a handheld type II HighRes image using the G9/12-35 combination. Second image is a 100% of the steeple top. I took about 8 different HighRes of different subjects in this outing and found that only 1 or 2 attempts were needed to get this quality of image. For me it is very useful.

FullImage.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
HighResSteeple.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As far as I know, the G9 doesn't have Hand-held hi-res. The first Pany camera I know of with HHHR is the GH6 (and made a big splash because of it; it was big news). I'm surprised you were able to hold the camera steady enough for it to even attempt such a shot, since the hi-res mode on the G9 is intended for tripod use (it uses sensor-shift). I know that on my E-M5.3 and E-M1.3, the tripod hi-res is very sensitive to camera movement and won't even attempt the shot if there is the slightest amount of movement (it is true that the G9 cleans up a lot of SUBJECT movement in the final result, but that is a different issue). HHHR works completely differently and RELIES on your hand shaking to build a composite, as explained in this video by Robin Wong:

As far as I know, the G9 doesn't have Hand-held hi-res. The first Pany camera I know of with HHHR is the GH6 (and made a big splash because of it; it was big news). I'm surprised you were able to hold the camera steady enough for it to even attempt such a shot, since the hi-res mode on the G9 is intended for tripod use (it uses sensor-shift). I know that on my E-M5.3 and E-M1.3, the tripod hi-res is very sensitive to camera movement and won't even attempt the shot if there is the slightest amount of movement (it is true that the G9 cleans up a lot of SUBJECT movement in the final result, but that is a different issue). HHHR works completely differently and RELIES on your hand shaking to build a composite, as explained in this video by Robin Wong:

I use HighRes Type II which is supposed to compensate for movement in the subject. I am 72 and have a genetic issue where the only 50% of the nerves in my feet report above the ankle. I can't do it with long lenses but by using TypeII with the 12-35 I get about 80% keepers with nothing to lean against and almost 100% when I have a bench or poll to lean against. If it works for me I bet a lot more folks could use it.

I use HighRes Type II which is supposed to compensate for movement in the subject. I am 72 and have a genetic issue where the only 50% of the nerves in my feet report above the ankle. I can't do it with long lenses but by using TypeII with the 12-35 I get about 80% keepers with nothing to lean against and almost 100% when I have a bench or poll to lean against. If it works for me I bet a lot more folks could use it.
As I mentioned, SUBJECT movement (hi-res type II) is not the issue here. What I am referring to is camera movement when you are taking the shot. They don't call it "tripod hi-res" for no reason. Anyway, if you can do it, that's good. I suspect that the camera is doing A LOT of cleanup of the result - interpreting your camera shake for subject shake, so you are getting essentially an upsized image that has been fixed throughout the image. Anyway, if it works for you, that's all that matters. But I do think it is misleading to encourage people to use this for handheld shots, which is why I am bringing it up.

Misleading? I just said it works for me. Anyone who owns a G9 can try. I don't see what is misleading. you sound like an Olympus fan boy to me.
What is misleading is to suggest that you can use the G9's SENSOR-SHIFT (tripod) hi-res mode in a handheld fashion. You seem to be equating High-res Type 2 with Hand-Held high res, which is is NOT correct.

The reason it appears to be working is that you are steady enough when you take the shot that it initiates doing it. But the result is almost certainly a very blurry image, which the Type 2 processing then cleans up for you (the camera thinks the blurring is caused by SUBJECT movement), probably by mostly upsizing the initial image. So it's not really working except you are getting a cleaned-up and upsized standard quality image, NOT a true high-res image as you would get if you used a tripod or had a GH6 that DOES HAVE true HHHR.

I am absolutely not a Olympus fan-boy. I don't really see why you even say that. We are talking about the G9, a Pany camera that does NOT have HHHR capability. If Pany introduces a G10 (or whatever) - a stills-oriented camera (as opposed to video), I will almost surely consider it over the OM-1.

I LIKE the clean-up that type 2 hi-res mode does and I wish Olympus cameras did it. With Oly cameras, if there is any SUBJECT movement, you get blurring in those areas, in both tripod and HHHR modes. The GH6 does a cleanup of blurry subject movement for both tripod hi-res and HHHR, and it is said to work very well. Plus, the GH6 gives you 100MP images in both tripod and HHHR modes, vs the OM-1 80MP tripod or 50MP HHHR images. So what's not to like with those capabilities in a somewhat smaller body?

The reason it appears to be working is that you are steady enough when you take the shot that it initiates doing it. But the result is almost certainly a very blurry image, which the Type 2 processing then cleans up for you (the camera thinks the blurring is caused by SUBJECT movement), probably by mostly upsizing the initial image. So it's not really working except you are getting a cleaned-up and upsized standard quality image, NOT a true high-res image as you would get if you used a tripod or had a GH6 that DOES HAVE true HHHR.

So, I shot an image and it is handheld. The image is clean. and it is repeatable and producers a 34" wide image.. Here is the link to the 125 MB file: P1003782.RW2
Downloaded it. look at it. It is a RAW 125 mb handheld from a G9. Just because I posted smaller images (which is what is allowed) doesn't mean I lied about the size.

I never said or even implied that you lied. You are missing the point here (that you should not use sensor shift hi-res without a tripod). But you obviously don't want to hear what I am saying, so let's just stop, please.

Perhaps you don't know the definition of Misleading:

Definition of mislead

transitive verb
: to lead in a wrong direction or into a mistaken action or belief often by deliberate deceit

Download the image and take a look. Then perhaps you will see that you can use sensor shift without a tripod using type II on a G9 with at least one lens - the 12-35 if you have reasonable technique. I will remove the file in a couple of days. The proof is in the image. I am now done with this issue.

Back