Uxbridge Underground Station

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
Built in the 1930s for the Metropolitan Line!

DSCF0769.jpg

X-T2 + 16mm 1.4 @ 1/400 f1.4 ISO 200

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Mike I went to Belmont Infints school we lived in the bottom of the high street near the Odion cinema I've only just got a Fuji camera been talking photos for quite a while you're photo just jumped out of the blue brought back memories cheers

Over the years I've seen many a film in the Odeon cinema, it is now a gym & fitness centre and none of the three cinemas(Odeon, Regel or the Savoy) have survived!

Over the years I've seen many a film in the Odeon cinema, it is now a gym & fitness centre and none of the three cinemas(Odeon, Regel or the Savoy) have survived!
I guess that's progress for you I still have a mate who lives on Uxbridge Common must get up there some time before it's too late !!!

Lee, you may recognise this one! One from my Nikon days.

Uxbridge.jpg

Uxbridge Common is still there and I passed it on the bus this afternoon after lunch at the Orchard in Ruislip!

I've used Uxbridge station many times and I've always been struck by that concrete canopy - it seems more like a cold war military structure or a 1960s brutalist cathedral than a 1930s station. I believe there's something similar at the other end of the Piccadilly Line at Cockfosters, but I haven't ventured out that far east. When it comes to the Met Line I'm more of a semi-fast Watford / Amersham person myself.

-R

Thanks to this thread I have just discovered that Cockfosters is in north London, and not to the east as I'd previously assumed. That's what comes of believing the diagram of the stations you see on Piccadilly Line trains without checking where places truly are on a real map. I've just been looking at images of the station at Cockfosters and it's the twin of Uxbridge - the same architect and the same concrete canopy over the station concourse.

-R

Richard, I had a nagging in my head that something was wrong, having googled Cockfosters station, and you are right internally it is the same, but externally they are quite different! Externally Cockfosters reminds me of the station at West Ruislip!

I have to admit to confusing myself and thinking of the Metropolitan Line which terminates at Aldgate in the east! :hmmm:

Thanks Mike, another case of encouraging people to stop and take time to look at something they are probably familiar with and take for granted but never really "see".
The first shot reminds me of a bunker with the concrete and shape of the roof all heading into the distance with the clock being the centrepiece!

At the concrete canopy over the platforms it is quite light and airy due to lots of windows!

When having radio therapy at the Charring Cross Hospital, I got very familiar with that clock.

Oddly enough the Charring Cross Hospital is in Hammersmith and the Hammersmith Hospital is in Charring Cross!

There is a very similar clock at Cockfosters station

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the chemo is all behind you Mike with positive results and you are doing well. Nothing like a confusing mix of stations & locations - must be a tourists nightmare!

Thanks Ian, the medicos tell me I'm clear of any symptoms, so I'm now being monitored every three months. But touch wood it won't come back!

Back