Leica Valdai 1984 Black Jupiter-3 "adaptation" and test.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I will never forget that Valdai J-3! The J-3 uses two guide pins to hold the inner/outer helical together. The lens had one guide pin so I put a second into it. The focus hung up half way through. The rail for the side with the missing screw was not cut properly: the screw jammed halfway up the rail. Exacto Knife to the rescue, lots of trial and error. Get the rail too wide: wobble in the focus and you lose RF calibration as the Cam is at an angle. Don't cut enough: cannot focus.

And another reason why I am very happy to refer this work to a professional shop from now on!

May 10, 2017
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Alan
I will never forget that Valdai J-3! The J-3 uses two guide pins to hold the inner/outer helical together. The lens had one guide pin so I put a second into it. The focus hung up half way through. The rail for the side with the missing screw was not cut properly: the screw jammed halfway up the rail. Exacto Knife to the rescue, lots of trial and error. Get the rail too wide: wobble in the focus and you lose RF calibration as the Cam is at an angle. Don't cut enough: cannot focus.

And another reason why I am very happy to refer this work to a professional shop from now on!
And to think I paid a premium for this 1985 Valdai, as it came with a “Passport“ certificate from the factory. Certified shoddy workmanship and QC!!
Thanks once again Brian for salvaging my purchase as I had no return option at the time.
Skyllaney will certainly have their work cut out for them if they see too many Valdai J-3s in the future.

Latest threads

Top Bottom