Sony 'Vaseline effect'

rapidfire

So I dropped my RX100. And I don't remember seeing this pre-drop. It doesn't happen all the time, but in flashless close-up photos.

huh.jpg

You can see that sudden 'bloom' before the whole thing bokeh's out, but that kind of rainbow fringed effect is ruining a lot of my close-ups. If I shot 40's starlets all day this would be the perfect thing, but for my stuff, not so much.

Is this

a) Some effect I forgot to turn off (doubt it, reset the thing once)
b) A feature of the camera (again, doubt it)
c) some sort of easily fixable issue
or
d) a candidate for a 'cheap, one minor ding, looks like it's working to me' sale?

If you know it's an issue, you should disclose it on sale. You dropped it. Not your perspective buyer.

If you know it's an issue, you should disclose it on sale. You dropped it. Not your perspective buyer.

Thanks for the high horsing, which I'm sure you measure up to all the time. I'll get rid of it - if I have to - how I see fit.

Meanwhile if you have input for the technical issue, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, you know where you can go.

What FL does it happen at? Any EXIF data? Did you shoot jpg or RAW? If RAW, did you do any sharpening in post?

You can always send in test shots to Sony, or the whole camera. When Sony first starting selling the RX100, you could get it from Sony direct with an accidental drop coverage warranty. Any chance you have that?

Sorry for my unhelpful first post, but your point d) reads as if everyone hides damage. As if this is a common thing. Maybe it is on eBay, but the long timers here, on FM, mu-43 and others all understand the value of clean dealings. I've dealt with many folks who fully disclose, and I've seen lots of returns and credits offered. Perhaps you meant your point d) in a different way, though your reply kind of reinforces the first reading.

I've not done much of this kind of shooting with my RX100, but here's what mine did. Single light from top left, shot in RAW with no post other than LR defaults. Widest angle, and wide open (f/1.8). Doesn't look much different.

20130901-DSC04687.jpg

So I dropped my RX100. And I don't remember seeing this pre-drop. It doesn't happen all the time, but in flashless close-up photos.

View attachment 7490

You can see that sudden 'bloom' before the whole thing bokeh's out, but that kind of rainbow fringed effect is ruining a lot of my close-ups. If I shot 40's starlets all day this would be the perfect thing, but for my stuff, not so much.

Is this

a) Some effect I forgot to turn off (doubt it, reset the thing once)
b) A feature of the camera (again, doubt it)
c) some sort of easily fixable issue
or
d) a candidate for a 'cheap, one minor ding, looks like it's working to me' sale?

Looks as expected at that distance. The RX100 is not the world's best macro camera.

I've not done much of this kind of shooting with my RX100, but here's what mine did. Single light from top left, shot in RAW with no post other than LR defaults. Widest angle, and wide open (f/1.8). Doesn't look much different.

View attachment 7491

Thanks very much - so I guess expected behavior for the camera?

I had it for a couple of months before I dropped it and perhaps it was my imagination, or maybe I was shooting in better light, I could swear I was getting better closeups...

Hmmm.

Either way, thanks. I guess it's not faulty.

Thanks very much - so I guess expected behavior for the camera?

I had it for a couple of months before I dropped it and perhaps it was my imagination, or maybe I was shooting in better light, I could swear I was getting better closeups...

Hmmm.

Either way, thanks. I guess it's not faulty.

I have the RX100 M2, and i get the same effect on macro.

I noticed that it is most pronounced at f1.8, once you stop down to 2.0 and lower it lessens and eventually eliminates completely around

here are some images shot at 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.8 respectively.

I adjusted levels in post to maintain brightness as the aperture was decreased.

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02975.JPG

DSC02976.JPG

DSC02977.JPG

DSC02978.JPG

Back