Micro 4/3 Showcase Venus Optics Laowa 6mm f/2 MFT

Jan Steinman

Regular
Name
Jan Steinman
I'm really becoming a fan of the Laowa line of lenses, especially the "AE" ones with contacts and automatic aperture. I shoot a lot of manual glass, and I hate having to program them in before using them — or forgetting, and having it identify in EXIF as something wrong. Plus, the actual taking aperture is recorded in the AE lenses, not just whatever you programmed in as the maximum aperture.

So, when they announced this lens, I actually waited 24 hours and slept on the decision before putting in my credit card, over-worked from Christmas. I ordered on December 22nd, thinking I'd get it sometime after the holidays, but FexEx actually delivered it on Christmas Eve! I'm impressed!

I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but we did go out storm-watching on the Oregon Coast after Christmas. My impression is that it is not quite as sharp as the Laowa 7.5/2, but plenty useful! Can't wait to make some panoramas with it!

All shot are full-rez JPEGs, straight out of the camera.

With 122° of view, you can get a drone-like effect, simply by holding it up in the air. Luck-over-skill, I managed to keep my feet out of this shot.
MC274007.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It makes tight spaces seem spacious! And the fast ƒ/2 aperture does a good job in low light.
MC273997.JPG

It's fun for poaching other people's shot-staging.
MC273991.JPG

Laowa has something they call "frog eye coating" that is supposed to repel water. Flying foam put it to the test. I carefully wiped the front element with the inside of my fleece jacket.
MC273982.JPG

All in all, I think it's a keeper. The remaining question is: do I sell the Laowa 7.5mm ƒ/2? That one is smaller and lighter. I'll have to do some more testing before deciding to keep both, or get rid of either. Or maybe even get rid of my M.Zuiko 7-14mm ƒ/2.8…

I'm really becoming a fan of the Laowa line of lenses, especially the "AE" ones with contacts and automatic aperture. I shoot a lot of manual glass, and I hate having to program them in before using them — or forgetting, and having it identify in EXIF as something wrong. Plus, the actual taking aperture is recorded in the AE lenses, not just whatever you programmed in as the maximum aperture.

So, when they announced this lens, I actually waited 24 hours and slept on the decision before putting in my credit card, over-worked from Christmas. I ordered on December 22nd, thinking I'd get it sometime after the holidays, but FexEx actually delivered it on Christmas Eve! I'm impressed!

I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but we did go out storm-watching on the Oregon Coast after Christmas. My impression is that it is not quite as sharp as the Laowa 7.5/2, but plenty useful! Can't wait to make some panoramas with it!

All shot are full-rez JPEGs, straight out of the camera.

With 122° of view, you can get a drone-like effect, simply by holding it up in the air. Luck-over-skill, I managed to keep my feet out of this shot.
View attachment 356961
It makes tight spaces seem spacious! And the fast ƒ/2 aperture does a good job in low light.
View attachment 356962
It's fun for poaching other people's shot-staging.
View attachment 356963
Laowa has something they call "frog eye coating" that is supposed to repel water. Flying foam put it to the test. I carefully wiped the front element with the inside of my fleece jacket.
View attachment 356964
All in all, I think it's a keeper. The remaining question is: do I sell the Laowa 7.5mm ƒ/2? That one is smaller and lighter. I'll have to do some more testing before deciding to keep both, or get rid of either. Or maybe even get rid of my M.Zuiko 7-14mm ƒ/2.8…
Never used one, but these Laowa lenses (for any system) do seem to be good with little if anything to criticize. If that's the standard of these new lens makers then that's good for all of us.

Back