Micro 4/3 Showcase Venus Optics Laowa 7.5mm f/2 MFT

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
Courtesy of @Amin Sabet:
f2-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f5_6-1.jpg

I remember being very happy with the Rokinon/Samsung version of this lens which could produce some nice sun bursts. I wonder if this lens is capable of the same?
Different lens. Those lenses are Fisheyes. This is a rectilinear lens.

Finally used the Laowa 7.5mm for real, this is the II model with electrical connections and camera controlled aperture.
This one has only 5 aperture blades AFAIK.
Interesting how your shots all show the typical ten sunstar points you'd expect with a five-blade aperture, and then two more points, in between two of the "regular" points.

Any idea why? A scratch or a hair across the lens, perhaps?

I have not played with sunstars on mine. I'll have to see if it has the same aberration.

Interesting how your shots all show the typical ten sunstar points you'd expect with a five-blade aperture, and then two more points, in between two of the "regular" points.

Any idea why? A scratch or a hair across the lens, perhaps?

I have not played with sunstars on mine. I'll have to see if it has the same aberration.
I have seen that and wondered about it, looking at the lens right now I can't see any scratches or hair, it looks pristine.
Since the extra flares follows the orientation of the lens I guess it is something inside causing it.

Please let me know if you see the same thing in your lens.

Please let me know if you see the same thing in your lens.
Out of 798 images taken with that lens, I only have a few that even show sunstars. Of those, I don't see the extra points on mine. Any artifacts I see seem to be symmetrical, probably due to large or multiple light sources.

These are all heavily cropped to better show the stars. As mentioned, I've made no attempt to purposely capture these, and all of these were at ƒ/5.6 or wider, which doesn't generate them well.
MB033935.jpg

MA161610.jpg

MA242873.jpg

MA161615.jpg

Out of 798 images taken with that lens, I only have a few that even show sunstars. Of those, I don't see the extra points on mine. Any artifacts I see seem to be symmetrical, probably due to large or multiple light sources.

These are all heavily cropped to better show the stars. As mentioned, I've made no attempt to purposely capture these, and all of these were at ƒ/5.6 or wider, which doesn't generate them well.
View attachment 357094
View attachment 357095
View attachment 357096
View attachment 357097
So your lens seems to be OK.
Can it be the strength of the light source that causes it? (Some kind of reflection in the lens with the sun as the light source?)

I will try to use the lens with another body, GM5 and G80, to see if the extra trails remain.

Back