Advice Wanted Video editing

DH59

Regular
I just tried out the movie mode on my X10 on holiday and I'm now contemplating how to deal with it. I recently bought PS Elements 11, which also included a trial of Premiere Elements, so I'm wondering whether that would be the best option, or whether the software that came with the camera can do a good enough job. Not really sure how often I will use the movie mode, but it's something I fancied trying, never having done it before.

Windows or Mac?

Most Mac's come bundled with iMovie, which is plenty good enough to learn video editing, also called non-linear editing. If you end up enjoying making and editing videos, than consider paying further for software.

Oops, sorry! Windows. Been trying Windows Live Movie Maker, and I think it will do the job for now. Not sure that shooting video is the way to go. I would rather get a camcorder if I was to do more of it, but taking the odd scene won't hurt, and Movie Maker will suffice, I think.

Cool. I'd say enjoy, but movie editing is a tedious and often frustrating process:)

I'll agree 100% with that and I've been a professional cameraman and editor. To do a decent job of putting together five or ten minutes worth of footage from a simple event can take all day. Those who can remember the heyday of 'home movies' will probably agree that the offer (threat!) to view someone's holiday film could strike fear into the heart of a brave man.

Nowadays I only shoot odd video clips of my grandchildren unless I'm doing pro bono work.

Back