Fuji Video recording of an event with X-E1 with XF18-55 or XF18 lens?

Ramirez

Regular
Tomorrow evening I am going to do a video recording of an music event.
I am going to put the X-E1 on a tripod and let it record the event all by itself.
The video recording is only for myself so I can watch the event later on.
It is actually a concert in a church that I don't want to miss.

I, myself, are going to be in a different room with kids so I can't be where the main event is at. I am working in the church so I can go between the rooms as I please.

I know about the 29 minutes limit, so I have to go in the middle of the hour that the event going to take to push the record button again.

As I can't operate the camera I am going to record at the wide end on the XF18-55 or use the XF18.

Which one should you prefer for video - XF18-55 or XF18 for this task?

And should I manually focus before I go to the other room or use AF?

Other setting I should use for the video recording? Which aperture? It is in a dimly lit church.

Remember, the video recording must not be perfect, it is just for me so I can watch it later.

I also have an external mic that I am going to connect to the camera.

Thanks for advice beforehand :)

I understand that many here aren´t really "video-oriented", me included.
I just need to record some videolips from time to time for my own needs (not professionally).

But I want to describe how I did the recording last night in my video amateurish ways :)

-----------

The concert lasted nearly 2 hours.

The beforehand steps:

- I put the X-E1 with the XF18-55 mounted on a tripod with an external mic (just the cheap Nikon ME-1 but better than in camera mic)

- I framed the scene when the band was practicing

- Fully charged battery and an 8GB card (to small for nearly 2 hours as I could not record the last 2 songs - I'll buy at least an 16GB card to next time as you can't really change card easily when mounted on a tripod

During the concert:

As I said, I was occupied in another room in the church.

- I had a timer om my iPhone (iPhone on silent mode of course, just vibrated when it waa time) - 27 minutes; it gave me time to go back to the concert and push the record button (as the camera's got the 29 minute video recording limit

- The first clip; I used aperture 4 and Astia film simulation as I recorded people (wanted the best skin tones)

- Later on I noticed it got pretty dark when I came back to push the record button again; I changed to max aperture 2.8 and also compensated with EV +2

After:

- I am pretty satisfied; the sound was ok at least for me to listen to it (the things I missed due to me not being able to attend)

- Video image quality was ok too

- Oh I forgot to say; I used manual focus; I set the focus for the distance to the band - MF is actually better for video recording than any AF (S or C)

Conlucion:

- You can actually use the X-E1 for video recording (maybe not for Hollywood movies)

Decent quality, good sound with external mic capability (better of course with even better mics like the Rode mics)

- I will absolutely use the X cameras for video when I need... Looking forward to the X100S as it is said that it has got even better video capabilities than the X-E1!

I know that these are not proper video recording tools (that is not the aim for the X cams), but to me they do a decent job :)

Glad it went OK. I've found the Fuji's to be OK for video use. I've recorded some interview/talking head type shots and it's been just fine. I used an external sound recorder synched with the footage which was great. Shame there isn't a little more manual control on the video side but if you used them within their limitations, they're great.

Yep. It works. You just have to do all the manual settings beforehand then it's ok.
And manual focus is preferred, it is nicer to watch the videos without for example the AF-C hunting for focus all the time.

Back