Leica Viewfinder magnifier?

I'm interested in this too, the ones I've seen have been quite expensive.

Yup. The Leica 1.25 and 1.4 are like 300$
And they are recommended for 50mm and up or 90mm and up (respecticely 1.25 and 1.4)

Im more interested in the 1.4 for the sake of making the VF easier to see. But i use a 35 and 50 primarily

I also bought the Leica 1.25x during that sale. I also have the Match Technical E-clypse 1.25x magnifier with the eye cup. Both are extremely useful for 50mm and longer lenses on my M8, M9 and MP. They do aid in focusing fast 50's quite a bit.

so - does the magnifier enlarge the entire viewfinder accurately?

and is there any reason that one couldn't use a 1.4 magnifier when using a 35 or 50 mm lens?

does the magnification throw off the focusing, or just simply make the VF bigger?

Thanks

It just makes the VF image larger. I can almost see the entire 50mm frame lines with a 1.25x magnifier on my M9 and MP...but I wear glasses. Without glasses, the 50mm frame lines are fully visible.

You probably won't be able to see the 35mm framelines with the 1.25x and certainly not with a 1.4x magnifier, but you'll be able to see the focus patch better.

I don't use a magnifier for 35mm...even for my 35/1.2 or 35/1.4...the standard view is good enough to get accurate focus.

If you need vision correction the Leica magnifiers are just gonna give you a bigger blurrier image. I'm farsighted and I thought the Leica 1.4 would be helpful. It wasn't. Nothing wrong with their product, it's just that without a diopter or glasses for correction the image was fuzzy and I couldn't focus well. Maybe with age I now need a little correction for distance too. So if your vision is really good this might be an option if you just need magnification.

Then I got the MS-Mag (or is it MS-Optical?) 1.4x with variable diopter correction and it works beautifully. It has continuously variable correction within a certain range just by turning the outer shell. To use it just look through the viewfinder at your subject and turn it till it gets clear. I have to set mine one way for distance and then re-adjust the diopter for closer focusing just like I need to adjust my vision with reading glasses for up close work.

I'll probably end up putting a couple of dabs of paint or nail polish on the outside to mark my most commonly used near and far settings. Should reduce the fumbling around.

I have the same experience as ChrisBail, MP with the 1.25x and also wear glasses. I only use the magnifier with lenses longer than 50mm, I find it extremely useful with the 90mm macro and the angle attachment. I prefer to see as much outside of the frame lines as possible, and rarely use the 90mm so IMO the magnifier wasn't worth the $ (for my limted use).

Back