Leica Vintage Leica Images

85098df1b899ccbcee5c0bbc02fe1064.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Leica IIIc, Summitar 50mm f/2, Y2 filter, Agfa Superpan 200

Not quite sure if they this is the right forum to post, but they seem to go with the images here. My grandfather was a doctor, a medical Captain in the U.S. Army during WWII.

He carried a Leica with a 50mm Elmar lens.

The first two images were taken by others with this camera in Belgium during WWII. He was very friendly with a family in Belgium and they took this photo of him holding their little girl with his Leica.

The last image, my brother tracked down the little girl in 2009 and took her photo in the exact same doorway, where she was still living. She vividly remembered my grandfather.
nenner.jpg
NennerDursley001.jpg
dursley.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was almost 7 years ago, great 1940s themed wedding party.
And they're still happily married today.

ta070807.jpg

Leica IIIa, 90mm f/4 Hektor. Don't remember the film.
A portrait of a friend who passed away unexpectedly a few months after this was taken....almost a decade ago. The photo really captures how I remember him.

67f6de63dbb7a31f09d0cad6ac7a842c.jpg

In the Footsteps of the 82nd Airborne
Last week in Malempré, Belgium. Leica IIIc and Hektor 50 f/2.5
Fomapan 100 in 12 minutes in HC-110 Dilution F at 20C

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul,
The 5cm f/2.5 Hektor was the 'more expensive' predecessor to the Summar. This being a somewhat rare version from 1933 I'm told. It was in rough shape when I bought it and I had it profesionally restored by a gentleman in the UK last year.
It quickly turned into one of my favorites.

Rick- fantastic shots. That Hektor and Xenon look great, certainly hard to understand why they got such a poor reputation over the years. Maybe it's because of the soft glass used on the front element, rather than used for the inner elements.

Zeiss always seems to have an edge over Leitz and all the other lens manufacturers of the period. Overal Sharpness-wise I mean.

I guess the soft (crown?) glass of the front elements of the Summars and Summitars and 70 years of grime collecting on the internal surfaces all add their bit to the 'reputation' of these lenses. Though I've seen fine images from scratched samples. Certainly when mounted on modern digital bodies.
And there's the fact that a lot of the younger lenses are, simply, just better.

The front and back of my Xenon have plenty of cleaning marks and it has quite a bit of glow in high contrast situations with all those surfaces the light has to pass through. A hood helps.

HvN.jpg

My Grandfather, his Mobilisation War Cross and a photograph of him and a group of men called up to active service at the start of the Mobilisation in April 1939.
Hektor 5cm f/2.5, Fomapan 100

I received my Grandfather's Mobilisation War Cross in May 2015, out of the hands of the Commander of the Dutch armed forces in The Hague.

Going a little off-topic

Here is a scan from the photo in the post above
10580158_822091124505913_2881296571684258478_n.jpg

Granddad standing to the left and behind the man sitting on the table.

I've been able to find out where this image was taken thanks to a newspaper article from 1938 that I found online. It referred to the text "Huize Ipema" on the chalkboard and that gave me the adres. It matched with information found in another photo of my Grandfather standing in front of the same building.

Not a vintage photo but a close-up of the medal.
18515_833838679997824_6232855757587004131_n.jpg

He was awarded it for 6 months of service during the Mobilisation (and his time until released from the Army after the Surrender).

Many Dutch veterans eligable for the medal never bothered to collect it when it was created in 1948. Back then it would have cost them 7.50 Guilders, which is roughly $35 today.
These last few years the Dutch Army is running a program to present the medal to these men or their family for free.

Your Grandfather and his companions served when called, and certainly deserve recognition for that service. There is some part of war that those who served hold very personal, my Father never claimed his medals after the War was over- we kids asked him to do so over 20 years past the end of the war. He gave away a Purple Heart awarded during the War, but kept his Air Medal awarded by General Chenault. The General liked doing the honors when visiting Air bases during the war, my Dad told me.

15598339993_c5f64ab2f4_b.jpg
dad_with_glasses_sweater_girl
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I'm sure this is not with a Leica, but it is Vintage.

16030838230_e1639229af_b.jpg
Dad_Broken_B29
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

One of Dad's B-29's, broke in half on Takeoff with a full load of bombs. I'm lucky to be here.

Back