Vintage New York pics

Photos are one of the view things that get more valuable as they get older. A hundred years from now people will look at all the street photos people are taking today and think, "What are they holding in their hands?" and "What's with all the beards?"

Shades of Vivian Maier in that first set. I think a big part of what I love about street photography is the feel it gives you of different eras. It doesn't have to be all that great - even the ubiquitous and boring shot of people walking down the street is cool if it's from 50-80 years ago. It gives you a feel for the time and place, whether it's a recognizable place like New York or just about anywhere else. I love these shots - I don't think the shooters were great artists but there's a lot of value in documentary type shooting. Which I guess is what keeps me doing it, if not as much as before. I'm don't consider myself an artist but I'm an OK documentarian. And that's enough to make it enjoyable to me. For sure, there are a LOT more people doing this stuff today than 50 years ago, but there are a lot more people doing all sorts of things today.

Back