Vintage Streetcar images.

unstable_rider

Regular
Name
Paul
Top_banner_760.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Once upon a time, many major cities had streetcars or light gauge rail for "commuting". At some point in time, most of them were removed and the original rails disappeared. There is indeed a trend now to bring some of that back.

token 1300.jpg

A Streetcar line was restored in Minneapolis some time ago. They have two cars, one is largely made of wood, while the other is primarily steel. It runs over a few miles of restored track and costs just $2.00 to take a ride. They have even reproduced the original tokens (above).

625 stay back.jpg

The service-personnel dress in period-correct uniforms and are volunteers as I understand.

conductor 600.jpg

Another one of those attractions local to me that I never took the time to go enjoy. One day last summer I finally got over there. I rode each of the two cars and had a great time!

322-1300.jpg

1300-last time-money.jpg

center 13.jpg

co-conductor rear.jpg

The older streetcar below that is largely furnished in wood has a wood burning stove to heat the passenger area.

conductor_standing.jpg

nose of 265_1300.jpg

read 1300.jpg

stay back 1300.jpg

The interior of the metal-constructed car has original works of advertising for local businesses from back in the day.

train-001.jpg

The interior shots were taken with my Fuji XE-1 and the Fuji 16mm F/1.4 lens.
Some of the more distant outdoor shots I used the same camera with the Fuji 35mm F/2.0 lens.

Thanks for looking!

~ Paul

In the late 60s, the entire Boston T system still used metal cars like the one in your photos. l also rode them often in the late 80s on the light rail system that runs in Pittsburgh and the southern part of Allegheny County.

We have a trolly museum, not far from where we live. They have about 15 cars in various stages of restoration along with a couple of small railroad engines and cabooses. There are about six cars that they run on their small line on the museum's property throughout the summer.

Coming Out Of The Barn.JPG

Thank you, Britanica.

It served as a reminder to me that sometimes there are cool targets close to home that I have long overlooked.

I have traveled farther and come home with so much less!

Back