Daily Challenge Vision 2020 Thread the First - January 1- 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after yesterday's hiatus (or stupor, rather), I went out with a whole of four cameras. As a compensation for my total lack of enthusiasm and ability yesterday, you're getting for images, one from each camera, in this thread.

Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 - this month's champ:
P1050421.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ricoh GR III - gotta love what that camera does at close to medium distances ... (I'm getting there!):
GR000161.jpg

Panasonic FZ1000 - sometimes, you just need 400mm-e:
P1000794.jpg

Sony A6000 with 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 - love that quirky combo:
DSC01164.jpg

(Just for those who haven't noticed, my keenness was rather tongue-in-cheek - carrying multiple cameras isn't that unusual for me, and specifically the FZ1000 is allowed to tag along quite often because it comes in useful time and again.)

M.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late in joining the party. I have been shooting with my new (to me) Fuji XF10. GR it ain't but it has it's own charms.

One of them isn't this...
Screenshot_20200105-181109-01.jpeg

...which I read after upgrading my 'phone...

After much fettling I managed to get the two devices to play nice together.

Why bother? Because my plan has been to treat Vision 2020 as an exercise in travelling light.

The best laid plans...

Anyway, I got there, so on with the story. I lived in Weybridge for the first ten years of my life. I recall standing in the High Street, holding my mother's hand as she pointed out John Lennon's psychedelic Rolls Royce, parked outside Timothy Whites.

I haven't been back for decades, but I had the opportunity to have a stroll around the town earlier this week. This photo essay is the result.

I love the barely restrained passive-aggressive nature of this sign:
2020_0103_11332000-01.jpeg

...and the neatly-executed consequences of failing to obey:
2020_0103_11385000.jpg

I went to find my old infants school, but sadly it has gone, replaced by:
2020_0103_12225800.jpg

...all that is left is:
2020_0103_12241600.jpg

So I went to find the newsagents shop where, rumour has it, I read my first word - "Frigidaire". Apparently I was waiting for an ice cream and the word was at eye-level. It fascinates me that the shop, but not the function, has changed:
2020_0103_12311600.jpg

Next, to the pub where, years later, I ordered my first pint:
2020_0103_12280400.jpg

It's still there but now, sadly, part of a big, impersonal chain.

Just around the corner lies the building that used to be Weybridge telephone exchange. My mum was a supervisor there during the war; she once had to discipline a night telephonist. His crime was to answer calls by saying "Rubber knees!" instead of "Number please?". His name was Norman Wisdom...
2020_0103_12354300.jpg

I used the "near infrared" setting for this one.

Thank you for indulging me.

The HDR is ok still when you need it to be. For this urban one, I was walking down, just waiting, waiting for the bloke to turn his head, then 'snap'. No differences between the 2 GR's in that regard. What's scary is the guy had no idea I'd just taken this picture, which of course creates another moral issue, but you can't argue that it's not the best camera for capturing any instant moment.

R0014199.JPG

Last edited:
DAY 5 - I got lucky hunting only by the very end of the day; the light was low and the ISO was high, but the mood is somewhere in between, mostly due to the illogical chair.
Shot with Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens mounted via speedbooster on Sony A6000; 25 frames stitched in total:
PICTOGRAMAX - 2020 - VISION 2020 - 05 - STATION.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 5 - I got lucky hunting only by the very end of the day; the light was low and ISO was high, but the mood is somewhere in between, mostly due to the illogical chair.
Shot with Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens mounted via speedbooster on Sony A6000; 25 frames stitched in total:
View attachment 211399
That’s a good name for a photography book:
“The Light was Low and the ISO was High”.

Found and dusted off an old lens I picked up a while back. Vintage yellowing 55mm Takumar. Performs pretty well imo but in this day and age of modern nifty 50s it doesn't surprise me that I forgot all about it.
Blueberries.
blueberries.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back