Daily Challenge Vision 2020 Thread the Third - January 22 - 31

200129-1080530.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Arriving at the Queens

Gordon Luscombe, 94 years old and nearly blind arrives at The Queens Arms, Slapton for his daily lunchtime pint. The car is being driven by his French wife Marlene who, as a young girl walked across France with her mother to the Atlantic seaboard and caught one of the last ships to evacuate civilians sailing to Plymouth in late June 1940 just before the fall of France. They have been married for 68 years. Gordon was born in the village and has never lived anywhere else except during the period of training for D Day when the village was evacuated for some months.

Barrie

Yesterday's ...

EM530104.jpg

... and today's shot, both falling under the header of "afthermath", and ...

EM530113.jpg

... one bonus shot because I suspect I may have overlooked at least one day.

EM530115.jpg

I'm not very familiar with shooting super-wides, but the Laowa 7.5mm is a pretty rewarding lens to use.

M.

DAY 29 - This gentleman's fast and deliberate paces stood out from the rhythm of other casual strollers so I hurried up a bit ahead and positioned myself to catch him. I thought it might look like a scene from a spy movie or a film noir, and it did. Shot with Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens monted via speedbooster on Sony A6000:
PICTOGRAMAX - 2020 - VISION 2020 - 26 - SOPITAS.jpg

DAY 29 - This gentleman's fast and deliberate paces stood out from the rhythm of other casual strollers so I hurried up a bit ahead and positioned myself to catch him. I thought it might look like a scene from a spy movie or a film noir, and it did. Shot with Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens monted via speedbooster on Sony A6000:
View attachment 213377
I like the processing and format you've used.

I reprocessed today's entry #29 in LR, the detail at ISO 12800 is better processed in a desktop application than in-camera, naturally. Also, come to think of it, a different file than the previously posted one.

R0004244.jpg

My entry for the 28th was also taken on the 29th, also edited in LR:

R0004248-2.jpg

By my reckoning, I missed two days, #26 and #27, which I am filling in with a couple more film shots. I shot HP5+ at 1600, which requires DF96 to be at least 90 degrees f. I feel like the grain could look a lot better than this batch did, which could be for a couple reasons - one is definitely that my developer is getting exhausted. I need to mix a fresh batch (I use the powder form due to its ease of shipping from Adorama). The other is that I am beginning to suspect DF96 just doesn't do well at high temps. I developed a roll of pushed Tri-X last year that also turned out with a lot of ugly diamond-shaped dark grain points. Ah well.

img474-2.jpg

img489-2.jpg

Incidentally, I didn't crop the bottom one - the exposure was so dark in parts of the image that the scanner ignored parts of the negative in several shots.

Well this probably the last infrequent contribution from me in this thread. It's been infrequent as I have tried and generally failed to somehow replicate the GRII's tones from the GRIIIs internal PP. In conclusion the III has the specs over the GRII for sure, but not quite the soul. These are from the III's HDR, Hard B&W and Vivid modes.
R0015081.JPG
R0015083.JPG
R0015085.JPG
R0015091.JPG

A very grey day with low cloud down on the hills and a light drizzle falling, so these are from yesterday.

200130-1080518.jpg
, another reliable, another reliable driver driver :D
Squeezing through at Oddicombe Corner

200130-1080523.jpg

Alighting at Torcross

The bus on my outward journey was being driven by Dave who's not far off celebrating his 80th birthday. He's been on this route since forever, a steady driver, very patient and very affable, he can thread that bus through the narrowest of gaps on what is a very challenging route to drive where many car drivers don't know what reverse gear is all about!. About 15 minutes after I got off at Torcross the bus going the other way went through, it would have passed this bus at Strete some four miles from where I got off. It was being driven by Andy who's been on the route for about 30 years. He's another reliable steady and affable driver, but what else would you expect, he's Dave's son :D:D

Barrie

Last edited:
Back