Daily Challenge Vision 2022 - image thread 1 (days 1 to 10)

I "thought" I needed prime lenses so have bought several over the years. To be honest apart from testing them out I haven't really used them and prefer to use zoom lenses. So for this month of challenge I am going to use my prime lenses, will resist the temptation to crop and then have a think about do I need them.

Whilst 2021 had elements of good, I am happy that today ....
"2021 is consigned to the Bin"
P1540051d2e.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not especially good picture technically. I was surprised by this horse at the public park. It was very excited of the opportunity to have fun at the park and speed was really something. The weather was perfect for flying-runs, hard snow. The man reining the horse had to work seriously to keep things in control.

It was fun to look at, and I noticed I need plenty of practice with my Leica...

2021-01-01​
Kaivopuisto-1000336.jpg

Walking through Lithia Park, above Ashland, Oregon, there is an old 'chair' - made from what I believe is the hollowed-out trunk of a large tree. Given the recent snowfall here, I didn't want to sit down upon it - but there is something about its presence, on this forested path, which I can't quite seem to capture.

GX9_Jan1_22_tree-chair_Lithia_Park.jpg

Taken on New Year's Day, January 1, 2022.

Last edited:
A little boost for your imagination:

I enjoy his insights as much as his (film, mostly) photography, and I hope you can take something out of it as well.

Good light, and happy shooting!

M.

I truly enjoyed this video, Matt. I wasn't familiar with the gentleman.
And I can't help wondering one small thing about his last name: O'Nions almost sounds Irish to me - but listening to him talk, he is clearly British - and then it suddenly struck me that if one removes the apotrophe (') from his name, it becomes... Onions. Thus I can't help wondering whether, perhaps, his ancestors might have been Irish farmers who grew onions?

Happy New Year, Out with the old. My wife and I switch from desktops to laptops at the end of last year. My desktop was a pretty quick sell, it had a graphics. I went back and forth on turning her old system in a NAS or buying one. In the end I couldn't pass up a green Monday deal. And today I was finally able to sell her system.

Here's one from the PL25, mounted upside down hanging from the bottom of the tripod.

_OMD0366.jpg

And I can't help wondering one small thing about his last name: O'Nions almost sounds Irish to me - but listening to him talk, he is clearly British - and then it suddenly struck me that if one removes the apotrophe (') from his name, it becomes... Onions. Thus I can't help wondering whether, perhaps, his ancestors might have been Irish farmers who grew onions?
Opinions, as ever, vary on this one. The most likely derivation is from the Welsh word 'enion' or 'enniaun' meaning 'anvil', in other words someone who is strong and stable. The Irishifying with the apostrophe seems to be random as it's not used in Ireland with this name. Alternatively it could mean a seller of onions!

The stress is on the "Nions" - and as you will know, "O'" means "son of", so the vegetabe reference is probably just a kind of folk etymology he'll be all too familiar with ;)

EDIT: Following Martin's insights that I somehow only saw *after* posting, I think it's very well possible that his ancestors used the apostrophe to indicate stress in order to *prevent* their name being pronounced as "onion". Which doesn't exclude the possibility that it actually *was* pronounced that way initially ... That's something you see quite a lot around here, people adapting (mostly having adapted) surnames by spelling them in a fancy way ...

He's British, living near the Lake District (he's secretive about it, as I would be, but he also makes images in his "local forest", and what you see on the horizon is telling ...).

I really like his style, and you can learn a lot (about film photography, and he also has an amazing eye).

M.

Last edited:
The stress is on the "Nions" - and as you will know, "O'" means "son of", so the vegetabe reference is probably just a kind of folk etymology he'll be all too familiar with ;)

EDIT: Following Martin's insights that I somehow only saw *after* posting, I think it's very well possible that his ancestors used the apostrophe to indicate stress in order to *prevent* their name being pronounced as "onion". Which doesn't exclude the possibility that it actually *was* pronounced that way initially ... That's something you see quite a lot around here, people adapting (mostly having adapted) surnames by spelling them in a fancy way ...

He's British, living near the Lake District (he's secretive about it, as I would be, but he also makes images in his "local forest", and what you see on the horizon is telling ...).

I really like his style, and you can learn a lot (about film photography, and he also has an amazing eye).

M.
Onions is also used in England, probably most famously recently being the cricketer Graham Onions who played for the England team a few times.

Steve is from Liverpool, so there could be an Irish connection. His YT videos are the only ones I watch regularly; incidentally I have some prints of his which he sells privately on Etsy. His back catalogue of videos are worth watching, even if you don't shoot film.

Back