Daily Challenge Vision 2022 - image thread 1 (days 1 to 10)

Making an old man happy
P1540793de.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Finally made it into town, so of course I forget all my cameras at home. I went to my office, and almost everything I had there had a problem, e.g., my CF card reader is broken so I can't use the D700. Suddenly I spy with my little eye (the grandkids' influence) my old E-P1 with the Lumix 14 2.5. It's among my worse cameras in terms of low light, so of course I run right away into a dark lab. It's still a great camera.
View attachment 285710
Just to note, consider it a welcome to all of our Mu43 expats.
At first glance it looked like whiskey - which would have fit a cold, lonely day at the lab. Then again, he never said what it was, so maybe it is hooch. ;)

Ingredients | 07 January 2022 6:53PM
P1260345.JPG

View of an old volcano from our family friends' home | 08 January 2022 | 6:05PM
P1260370.JPG

EDIT: Inserted my 07 January 2022 posting here as I accidentally posted it on wrong thread.

Last edited:
We stopped at an estate sale today... a very nice mid-century home up on a hillside with a view of Coos Bay, Oregon. The elderly couple who lived there were obviously kind of cultured folks - there was some nice artwork and furniture. But it served as a reminder to us that culture and artistic talent don't save one from the inevitability of one's story coming to an end...

OI000001-01.jpeg

At first glance it looked like whiskey - which would have fit a cold, lonely day at the lab. Then again, he never said what it was, so maybe it is hooch. ;)
It's a chromium(III) nitrate or sulfate solution. Cr(iii) is actually an essential trace element for humans and can be tolerated in large amounts. If I was trying to poison someone, I would either try something else or just hit them over the head with the bottle.

Last edited:
Day 8: the best camera is the one you have with you. Today was a Ski Day for me, up on Mt. Ashland, southern Oregon's local downhill ski mountain - and the camera with me was my iPhone. Somehow, defying gravity at high speeds didn't seem like the best moment for photography - but my one shot for the day was taken in the parking area, when I arrived.

Ski_day_iPhone.jpg

My wife was talking to my grandson while he ate Froot Loops. I suddenly realized this was an increasingly common but still special moment. I grabbed the nearby GRiiix and take a series with the focus point on my grandson's face, leaving my wife's face a bit out-of-focus. That was the money shot. I then took a series with her face in focus, because, why not? It's not like it's getting less cute. Looking on the monitor, I agree with my former shooting self that the focus point on the child's face is the better option. On the other hand, we all have heard that increasingly people are restricting access to pictures of their children, or at least trying to. I decided that I liked my wife's face sharp and my grandson's as the most blurred part of the screen, as this would be the aesthetic if this particular photo paranoia were to become the dominant social norm.
anonymous.jpg

How's that E-P7 working for you? I also want a strawberry now.
Actually REALLY like it. Well worth taking the risk on an import. Sure I wish it had an EVF. There are really only 3 other things I miss from the Pen F: direct AF control from the D-pad, smaller AF points, and manual lens data. And the AF control is really the only one that bugs me when I forget.

It's lighter, has a better grip, has the tilt screen, and SO much simpler. I don't use many of the advanced features other than monochrome. But they are all simpler to use.

Last edited:
Back