Daily Challenge Vision 2022 - image thread 2 (days 11-20)

In the dead of night, I let out a dog that finally realized she couldn't wait this out. I was too tired to notice that the camera was set to a high SS. Hence, a look at downsampling an image from 7952 pixels to 1500 at iso 12800 of very icy snow lit by a single incandescent bulb
nightprints.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I miss axe work. We had a wood stove in our last place, splitting logs was a nice workout and outlet.
When I lived out in the middle of nowhere and heated with a couple of wood stoves, I spent most of the summer hauling dead wood out of the national forest and then cutting and splitting it. I was younger then, and I confess having a thermostat now to notch up in the morning is a lot easier than getting a fire going again. But I agree, there's something very enjoyable about getting wood ready for a stove or fireplace. I just have a fireplace now,.

When I lived out in the middle of nowhere and heated with a couple of wood stoves, I spent most of the summer hauling dead wood out of the national forest and then cutting and splitting it. I was younger then, and I confess having a thermostat now to notch up in the morning is a lot easier than getting a fire going again. But I agree, there's something very enjoyable about getting wood ready for a stove or fireplace. I just have a fireplace now,.
I envy your fireplace! I grew up with an open fireplace, and while it's shockingly inefficient for heating, man, there's nothing like winter nights with an open fireplace.

I think gathering and processing wood is so - dare I say it - ingrained in us over thousands of years that it's part of our genetics at this point, as is the appreciation for fire.

I miss axe work. We had a wood stove in our last place, splitting logs was a nice workout and outlet.

I spent my teens dealing with prepping wood for the winter. We even bought "standing cords" in a local state park. That is until I thought it might be fun to stick a chain saw in my shoulder.

Back