Daily Challenge Vision 2022 - image thread 2 (days 11-20)

Day 12, another Bokeh test and surprise, surprise the PL25 wins again.

_OMD0476.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've just been reading about the religious wars for my history class (an elective since I really enjoy studying the time period), and this photo seems conjured out of that era, somehow :)
While the church is way too old and is in the wrong region of Europe to have been witness to any of those (it was founded in 1069 AD), the location is pretty significant for the last correlated struggles in Switzerland in the 19th century - and in fact, it's also about five miles (eight kilometres) away from a catholic/protestant "border", but the actual conflict ran right within the local society itself: "liberal" - laicist - against "conservative" - catholic - forces). It's actually called "Kulturkampf" - culture war. The churches *do* symbolise this around here, in fact.

Interesting fact: Only a couple of months ago, our (well, different village, but same region) two local wind orchestras were reunited - after 110 years of separation between liberals and conservatives. The reason of the split-up: In 1912, some 60 years after the actual conflict had ended, the local priest banned the "heathen" (liberal) musicians from playing in "his" church; the more devout members then regrouped to be allowed to play at service ... Hence, two orchestras (and rather posh ones, too) in a single village with 2000 inhabitants ... actually, there were less than 800 when it happened.

Europe. And Switzerland. That's Europe, only more so (all vices, all virtues, in splendid isolation right at the heart of the whole affair).

M.

I sometimes wonder what these old european towns or even my own Lexington looked like in the 19th century, before electric lights. There is something alluring about a town lit only by fire.
While I think I know what you mean, I just had to think about the fact that in 1764, almost half of the village burnt down in one night ...

But yes, the nights *were* dark - *really* dark. A torch makes a little "ball" of light only a couple of feet in diameter, for example - and that, basically, was *it*.

M.

While the church is way too old and is in the wrong region of Europe to have been witness to any of those (it was founded in 1069 AD), the location is pretty significant for the last correlated struggles in Switzerland in the 19th century - and in fact, it's also about five miles (eight kilometres) away from a catholic/protestant "border", but the actual conflict ran right within the local society itself: "liberal" - laicist - against "conservative" - catholic - forces). It's actually called "Kulturkampf" - culture war. The churches *do* symbolise this around here, in fact.

Interesting fact: Only a couple of months ago, our (well, different village, but same region) two local wind orchestras were reunited - after 110 years of separation between liberals and conservatives. The reason of the split-up: In 1912, some 60 years after the actual conflict had ended, the local priest banned the "heathen" (liberal) musicians from playing in "his" church; the more devout members then regrouped to be allowed to play at service ... Hence, two orchestras (and rather posh ones, too) in a single village with 2000 inhabitants ... actually, there were less than 800 when it happened.

Europe. And Switzerland. That's Europe, only more so (all vices, all virtues, in splendid isolation right at the heart of the whole affair).

M.
I'm trying to think of a similar American scenario. No real reason except that I think of "a neat problem with no real consequences" as a particular form of decadence.

While I think I know what you mean, I just had to think about the fact that in 1764, almost half of the village burnt down in one night ...

But yes, the nights *were* dark - *really* dark. A torch makes a little "ball" of light only a couple of feet in diameter, for example - and that, basically, was *it*.

M.
Yeah, but that was part of the feeling. Even ordinary everyday things were more dangerous than now. I wonder how high you would have to rise or how willing you would be to lock yourself away in a monastery, for you to be as safe as a random member of this forum is today. Just to be totally upfront, the closest I ever want to be to actually experiencing this is right outside Orlando.

Back