Daily Challenge Vision 2022 - the Finale

Name
Matt
Start Date
Feb 1, 2022
End Date
Feb 5, 2022
POST UPDATED!

The Vision 2022 Challenge is almost completed - but we're not quite there yet.

While all images should by now have been posted, the final result remains to be put together: the Vision 2022 Collage.

How to proceed:
  • Of your contributions to the challenge, pick one to three favourite images. The three image threads have been made sticky (again) to make finding and browsing them easier for you.
  • We prefer original JPEGs (without forum compression). Please include your forum handle in the filename for further reference.
  • Use David's SmugMug upload HERE to provide the files. He'll put together the collage. Thanks, David!
  • You may, but don't have to, watermark your images at your discretion.
  • Please have all of your files uploaded by Friday night, 12:00pm Boston time.
Note that David will be given all the time he needs - we're not in a hurry, he can work at his own pace.

I think this way, we'll see a final result worth keeping and revisiting - and have a great way of remembering this challenge.

Of course, we'll have it on display in this thread as well - but the main perk is obvious: All participants will be provided a link to download the original output file.

M.

POST UPDATED!

Last edited:
I'll add:

I was a professional photographer for a number of years. So know that I will respect all images rights to the best of my ability. I will generate the collage from the provided images and once the collage is created and approved, I will delete all images other than the rendered collage file.

I have an album creation program that is pretty handy for generating auto collages. I should be able to generate a couple of samples later today that I can post here.

As I fell off this challenge wagon after just day 2 I can’t pretend I have been on this journey with you all so I won’t be submitting either of my pics for the collage.

But for those of you who travelled further - well done! I’m really looking forward to seeing the Vision 2022 collage of your best work.

Big cheers to David for volunteering to pull the collage together and also BIG thanks to Matt for all your work organising this challenge.

So here are some options. Shadows, boarders, maintain original aspect ratio, I can even jumble them. Only thing I won't do is try and pick which images are larger and which are smaller, it's all auto. And obviously fewer pictures means larger individual images. This is starting with an A3 portrait.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Jumble.jpg
    Jumble.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 439
  • No_Boarder_Yes_Shadow.jpg
    No_Boarder_Yes_Shadow.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 84
  • No_Boarder_Yes_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    No_Boarder_Yes_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Yes_Boarder_No_Shadow.jpg
    Yes_Boarder_No_Shadow.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 85
  • Yes_Boarder_No_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    Yes_Boarder_No_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Yes_Boarder_Yes_Shadow.jpg
    Yes_Boarder_Yes_Shadow.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Yes_Boarder_Yes_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    Yes_Boarder_Yes_Shadow_Aspect.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Fewer.jpg
    Fewer.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 71
All I need to say is that I fully agree with Don. I (ever so slightly) prefer the "No shadow" variety.

If I understood everything right, I think I'll vote for "Yes_Boarder_No_Shadow_Aspect" ... (I'd really rather avoid a crop)

"Auto" is fine.

One thing: I was envisioning a landscape format - but now like the portrait orientation rather better.

Thank you once more, David!

M.

I submitted two photos - I considered entering just one, because I didn't post many photos this challenge, certainly not close to one a day. I counted eleven (which actually surprised me, I was doubtful it would get to ten), but there were a couple I liked the idea of adding to the collage, so I went ahead. With as chaotic as this month turned out to be for me (wife's grandfather passed away, then we went on a vacation and ended up with covid - probably not from the vacation, we were "staying in" for the overwhelming part of it), I think it went okay.

So here are some options. Shadows, boarders, maintain original aspect ratio, I can even jumble them. Only thing I won't do is try and pick which images are larger and which are smaller, it's all auto. And obviously fewer pictures means larger individual images. This is starting with an A3 portrait.

I like the 4th one, the yes border, no shadow one, the best, either horizontal or vertical.

As I fell off this challenge wagon after just day 2 I can’t pretend I have been on this journey with you all so I won’t be submitting either of my pics for the collage.

But for those of you who travelled further - well done! I’m really looking forward to seeing the Vision 2022 collage of your best work.

Big cheers to David for volunteering to pull the collage together and also BIG thanks to Matt for all your work organising this challenge.

I just have to say, Karen, that even though you did 'fall off the wagon' metaphorically relatively early in this Challenge, I found the handful of photos which you did submit to be intriguing and worthy, in many ways.

I also have to agree with you in publicly thanking Matt, for going far above and beyond what I expected or imagined in organizing this Challenge - and also to David, for putting in the time, energy and thought for the final collage/compilation.

And having just spent some time going over every photo submitted on every day over the last month, I feel rather amazed, humbled, and blown away by the visions of everyone who participated in this monthlong photographic Odyssey. There are a lot of remarkable photographs here, and looking at them all at once (instead of in a slower, day by day, fashion) is a great experience.

Sorry for my tardiness in responding, but I have one definite favorite and clear-cut among all of these intriguing layouts:

Fewer.

The reason why: it seems to me to have the MOST WHITE SPACE - and LARGEST WHITE SPACES - in between the individual photos - and when push comes to shove, I love WHITE spaces and backgrounds.

It would be hard to specify my 2nd or 3rd choices, but I will simply add: whichever one has more white spaces in it, I like better.

Also (confession follows): I rather like the 'Shadow' effect in some of the layouts. I like the artificial sense of dimensionality it seems to generate in my mind's eye: I get the feeling I'm looking at a mounted print that is a few inches away from the wall behind it, and I'm seeing its shadow on the wall. For some reason, that 'clicks' with me.

I realize I may be in the minority here as one or two other people don't seem to be fond of the 'Shadow' interpretations - which makes me wonder aloud about an alternate view of 'Fewer', simply with no Shadow effect.

But (he said, repeating himself again) I think Fewer is awesome.

One more quick thing, David: I JUST uploaded my 3 photos to the SmugMug upload page which you have set up specially for this (thank you, again, for donating your time and expertise to do this!) - and then I somehow accidentally clicked on what seems to be a current 'page' for Vision 2022 uploads - and whatever layout you are using for that page is very very cool. I like it a LOT. Is it one of the 'Options' you listed here? or something else?

Sorry for my tardiness in responding, but I have one definite favorite and clear-cut among all of these intriguing layouts:

Fewer.

The reason why: it seems to me to have the MOST WHITE SPACE - and LARGEST WHITE SPACES - in between the individual photos - and when push comes to shove, I love WHITE spaces and backgrounds.

It would be hard to specify my 2nd or 3rd choices, but I will simply add: whichever one has more white spaces in it, I like better.

Also (confession follows): I rather like the 'Shadow' effect in some of the layouts. I like the artificial sense of dimensionality it seems to generate in my mind's eye: I get the feeling I'm looking at a mounted print that is a few inches away from the wall behind it, and I'm seeing its shadow on the wall. For some reason, that 'clicks' with me.

I realize I may be in the minority here as one or two other people don't seem to be fond of the 'Shadow' interpretations - which makes me wonder aloud about an alternate view of 'Fewer', simply with no Shadow effect.

But (he said, repeating himself again) I think Fewer is awesome.

The fewer option has about 40 images, the other have around 70. It was just from a directory I had handy. We're at 26 right now, so it will be fewer. If it stays at "fewer" I can adjust the space between images easily enough.

One more quick thing, David: I JUST uploaded my 3 photos to the SmugMug upload page which you have set up specially for this (thank you, again, for donating your time and expertise to do this!) - and then I somehow accidentally clicked on what seems to be a current 'page' for Vision 2022 uploads - and whatever layout you are using for that page is very very cool. I like it a LOT. Is it one of the 'Options' you listed here? or something else?
Do you mean this page?

It's more or less the same as the collages above, small boarder (though dark) and drop shadow.

Do you mean this page?

It's more or less the same as the collages above, small boarder (though dark) and drop shadow.

Yes, David, I did mean that page. (And there was plenty of 'white space' on it, for me.)
I'm guessing I'm going to like whatever you come up with.
(Although I do have a fondness for those 'drop shadows'... :2thumbs:)

Back