Vivian Maier

I like her photos too. Also, I believe there may be many more like her with undiscovered work. They just may have been lost to time and passed by with no one to discover them.

Agree with Luke.

I was intrigued by the stuff I'd seen online so when I found a book on her on sale, I bought that. Quite enjoy her photos in the book.

I also bought the bluray documentary about her, that was very interesting. The documentary presents a fair perspective on her and her life which is a good thing, it's not one of those glowing documentaries that only present her in the best light.

Evidently, if you add in the undeveloped rolls of film, there are about 150,000 images. I admit I have an almost romantic attraction to the idea of wandering around Chicago with a Rollei TLR. One FL, big negatives, and that waist level finder. The last just gives the images a certain non-35 mm look because of the lower angle of shooting they encourage. So much of her stuff makes me think of someone who is looking at humanity and not quite feeling part of it, especially her random self-portraits in windows.

Last edited:
So much of her stuff makes me think of someone who is looking at humanity and not quite feeling part of it, especially her random self-portraits in windows.

We'll never know how she interacted with people in the streets. The documentary I have suggested that she may have had some issues so you may right, she's likely a socially withdrawn person, watching the world from just outside society's peripheral vision.

If I’m being honest, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse work. Somehow in the back of my mind, there is this nagging feeling that the story of the lost film and the voyage to get them developed is a bigger draw than the work itself to most people. There’s a lot there that I like and taking nothing away from her vision and her abilities to capture a great street scene.

Last edited:
If I’m being honest, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse work. Somehow in the back of my mind, there is this nagging feeling that the story of the lost film and the voyage to get them developed is a bigger draw than the work itself to most people. There’s a lot there that I like and taking nothing away from her vision and her abilities to capture a great street scene.
Of course, you make a great point that her story adds to the interest in her work. I started this thread precisely to discuss issues like that. I often think of her as the "patron saint" of amateur photographers. Imagine if one day, all of your work was suddenly discovered as a great batch. How would any of us be judged in the situation? It's a fascinating hypothetical.

Last edited:
Back