Leica Showcase Voigtländer 50 f/3.5 Heliar VM

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
This nice little lens is so cute and tiny. And the rendering is very good as well -- thanks to its slow maximum aperture, it's very easy to work with. And me being never a fifty guy and a 28/35 mm shooter for a long time, the jump into 50 was suspiciously smooth...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

rayvonn

All-Pro
Jan 19, 2015
On the one hand I’ve always been programmed to think a 50mm should be fast. On the other hand (as I’ve discovered) that’s not really what a RF camera is all about and is way down on the list of priorities, as well demonstrated here.

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
What an awful, awful scene and a most poor composition. I'm not feeling well if I look at the big picture. But at the same time, I can't resist showing how much the lens has microcontrast wide open...

Maybe a closer crop to combat file size limitations...

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Thank you for kind words. I don't tend to think when I shoot (as such, I everything I do right is pure fool's luck) but maybe during crop phase I subconsciously found the two-and-two-tone composition most aesthetic, and stripped everything else away.

This lens is going places. I've been shooting it wide open for some time now and the performance is just unreal.

gordo

Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
Arizona
Gordon
Thank you for kind words. I don't tend to think when I shoot (as such, I everything I do right is pure fool's luck) but maybe during crop phase I subconsciously found the two-and-two-tone composition most aesthetic, and stripped everything else away.

This lens is going places. I've been shooting it wide open for some time now and the performance is just unreal.

View attachment 200970
The only time I've used mine other than wide open has been for landscapes. I really enjoy the lens' rendering, it's sharp, but smooth. (If that makes any sense to anyone other than me.) Another one of a couple of lenses I really need to shoot more.

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Having shot this exclusively during this July I'm almost growing bored of the ultra contrasty presentation it puts out. Almost. From picture to picture, everything always shows in brutal detail. :) Will probably affect my future decisions about lenses -- for example, perhaps a vintage Leica instead of a sharp Zeiss.

For the sake of a showcase (show-off), here's one scene shot wide open and a blow-up of the center.

Latest threads

Top Bottom