Leica Showcase Voigtländer 50 f/3.5 Heliar VM

Apr 2, 2018
I am pretty much breathless with the performance of this lens. The grass is 3D, you can't convince me otherwise.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Crop of the above. I prefocused to the railing and waited for a suitable victim to appear. I got one where she's in focus but nothing beats a smiler. :)

Apr 2, 2018
Some people wonder: "Yes -- this lens is sharp and all. But wouldn't the other quality fifties be equally sharp at f/3.5 and upwards?"

I have to personally conclude that yes, they are sharp but no fifty I've shot can render like this while being equally sharp. Sharpness at focus and the pleasantly MF-like bokeh along with transitions.

Throw in the lightweight build and ease of use, this is a fine fifty indeed.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Some people wonder: "Yes -- this lens is sharp and all. But wouldn't the other quality fifties be equally sharp at f/3.5 and upwards?"

I have to personally conclude that yes, they are sharp but no fifty I've shot can render like this while being equally sharp. Sharpness at focus and the pleasantly MF-like bokeh along with transitions.

Throw in the lightweight build and ease of use, this is a fine fifty indeed.

Hamish Gill did a very good article on this lens, basically makes the same statement as you did.

Now I have to pull out the 1950s Minolta 45/2.8- reputed to be a Heliar design, a 3-1-1 formulation.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom