Leica Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Heliar anybody?

xdayv

Top Veteran
Name
Dave
I tried this in a store, wow I'm impressed! I like the size, and the price (relatively speaking). I took a couple of shots but it is still in my SD card. Anybody has this? Thoughts?

//a big plus also is it takes 52mm filter!

//am I doomed with a fourth lens? Oh no. :blush:

There is a new version (III) coming out which is a redesign for the digital sensors and supposed to solve some of the corner issues. Of course it is bigger then the current one and I haven't seen its price/availability yet eg B&H doesn't have it even in their website and cameraquest is taking preorders w/o any price/delivery date:
Voigtlander 15mm, 35mm, 40mm Lenses Announced At Photokina 2014
Voigtlander 15/4.5 III Leica M Aspherical Super Wide Heliar @ cameraquest
Cameraquest: This lens is a new improved optical design of 11 elements in 9 groups, giving improved performance and improved color shift for digital M cameras

I have the old version. It is great on my M8. So any corner issues are much less severe for me. I do not happen to be a wide angle kind of guy so it does not get much use. But it never fails to impress me when it is used.
Mine is not rangefinder coupled. But the depth of field is so huge that estimating distance is about the same as simple hyperfocal anyway. I do not remember any focus issue ever.
Maybe I should start using it more...hmmm.....

There is a new version (III) coming out which is a redesign for the digital sensors and supposed to solve some of the corner issues. Of course it is bigger then the current one and I haven't seen its price/availability yet eg B&H doesn't have it even in their website and cameraquest is taking preorders w/o any price/delivery date:
Voigtlander 15mm, 35mm, 40mm Lenses Announced At Photokina 2014
Voigtlander 15/4.5 III Leica M Aspherical Super Wide Heliar @ cameraquest

oh thanks, i better check 'em out! :D

Anybody got the III (2014)?

Just pulled the trigger on one night before last and got it today (y). My first impressions are very good. Just like they promise, there is no magenta fringing :2thumbs:. The lens feels very solid and the build quality is quite good, typical Voigtlander quality. The feel of the controls is very nice with just the right amount of resistance in the focus ring, which in reality gets very little use since the lens is practically in focus from pretty close to infinity :D. So far I think I'm going to enjoy using this lens a lot! Here are some random shots I've taken just to try it out.

L1008712.jpg
L1008713.jpg
L1008718.jpg
L1008719.jpg
L1008721-Edit.jpg
L1008722.jpg
L1008723.jpg

@rflove - thanks for posting these... the ultra wide perspective is unique and can be exciting to shoot, by the looks of your shots above, the distortion is also well-controlled? What are your thoughts on this?

The ultra wide perspective is definitely interesting and actually quite useful. There are simply too many subjects which defy the longer focal lengths. As you note, the distortion inherent with ultra wide angle lenses can be a problem (or a feature if done on purpose). But with rectilinear lenses like the CV15 and other equally good lenses is pretty much a non-issue. The biggest problem occurs when the camera angle in relation to the subject is not perpendicular.... However, even when that cannot be controlled (as in the photo of the rain), the lens performs admirably as witnessed by the straight lines of the door frame and structures.

Here is one taken with care to make distortion minimal (in B&W). The color shot in the first post shows unavoidable vertical distortion because of the view point of the camera

L1008725_HDR-Edit.jpg
L1008730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this same lens for use on Sony A7RII, and it is a real winner. Probably even better on Leica M for which it's designed, but great on the Sony too. Very low distortion and sharp throughout the frame at f/8.

Where to begin with this lens; I have the original screwmount version, purchased in 2002 and (with the LTM-M adapter) it's my second most used on my M8 behind my 35/2.5 CV Color Skopar PII. With the M8 crop factor, there are no vignetting issues. I also use it frequently on my film Ms and of course any of my LTMs (Leica and Canon).

22707561207_7f0ac26a58_c.jpg

22707413528_dfa0b72dec_c.jpg

14238199262_311fc8cfff_c.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Back