Leica Showcase Voigtlander 28mm f/2.0 Ultron

The bokeh in the first one, with Sam, is kind of busy, but the last one, with your Dad and niece, is wonderful! I can tell I'm going to have to avoid this forum the better part of the time!

-Ray

The bokeh in the first one, with Sam, is kind of busy, but the last one, with your Dad and niece, is wonderful! I can tell I'm going to have to avoid this forum the better part of the time!

-Ray

Bokeh is a funny thing. Definitely depends on the lens (eg, RX1 lens has smooth bokeh) but also heavily dependent on what's in the frame, aperture setting, distance to background, etc. I think the one with my dad and niece is smoother because I stopped down a touch (I think I did) but also because of what's in the background and how distant it is.

My taste in bokeh is also changing over time. Lenses which I once loved for smoothness of bokeh I now find obscure the background structures too much, while characteristics I once regarded as simply harsh/distracting, I'm now finding can contribute to a photo's character under the right circumstances. I actually like the edginess of the background in the first one with the dog. Just goes to show that these things are subjective.

Back