Leica Showcase Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton

Leica M8 w/ Voigtländer F1.4/35 Nokton MC

062DE61E-8C97-4FB8-B579-D707B78BB16D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Wide open shooting at distances is interesting with this lens. Focus at a distance (the apple tree) tends to get lost in the fuzziness.

The good side to this low-fidelity performance is that the files respond nicely to heavy-handed post-process tricks and achieve a dreamlike look while still being perfectly "legible".

Not related to the lens but a showcase of darktable 3.7 here as well.
This shot also received a lot of highlight recovering, darktable is to thank. The clipping happens through all three channels but yet so much information has been recovered. Probably wasn't a 100% saturation then. I should ask the community about the clipping indicator.

2021-07-15 (Thu) 17-10-29.jpeg

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 4
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 3

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I forgot to evaluate the Nokton's capabilities choked down to f/8 or so. Here surprisingly the lens is more of a letdown than anticipated because it won't beat Summicron at f/8. Summicron and plenty of lenses gain such clarity at the 35mm "sweet spot" as most everyone knows.

But it's a strong shooter regardless. I shot a series of test shots from f/2.8 to f/11, focused target slightly off-center, and the performance was about as strong (or weak, depending on your viewpoint) throughout the range.

2021-07-18 (Sun) 17-01-23.jpeg