Leica Showcase Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Nokton

Leica M8 w/ Voigtländer F1.4/35 Nokton MC

062DE61E-8C97-4FB8-B579-D707B78BB16D.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wide open shooting at distances is interesting with this lens. Focus at a distance (the apple tree) tends to get lost in the fuzziness.

The good side to this low-fidelity performance is that the files respond nicely to heavy-handed post-process tricks and achieve a dreamlike look while still being perfectly "legible".

Not related to the lens but a showcase of darktable 3.7 here as well.
This shot also received a lot of highlight recovering, darktable is to thank. The clipping happens through all three channels but yet so much information has been recovered. Probably wasn't a 100% saturation then. I should ask the community about the clipping indicator.

2021-07-15 (Thu) 17-10-29.jpeg

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 85
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 90
I forgot to evaluate the Nokton's capabilities choked down to f/8 or so. Here surprisingly the lens is more of a letdown than anticipated because it won't beat Summicron at f/8. Summicron and plenty of lenses gain such clarity at the 35mm "sweet spot" as most everyone knows.

But it's a strong shooter regardless. I shot a series of test shots from f/2.8 to f/11, focused target slightly off-center, and the performance was about as strong (or weak, depending on your viewpoint) throughout the range.

2021-07-18 (Sun) 17-01-23.jpeg

Taken w/M10-R. A small "park" in Houston. More of a promenade / water retention basin but it is nicely landscaped and a pleasant area. It would have been nice to have been able to get down to the water but there is not any direct access.
L1000903.jpg
L1000911.jpg
L1000904.jpg

Friday afternoon at the local coffee roaster (Not national chain). The first is Allen dealing with some Sbx refugees wanting half caff, soy lattes with half pump caramel in the bottom and 1 pump amaretto on top. Meanwhile Robin is focused on my simple straight forward Sumatran pour over int the Poursteady machine. The second is Allen recovering from the order.
L1000917.jpg
L1000920.jpg

There is a wetlands park that was jointly developed by the Community developer and Texas Parks and Wildlife. It depends heavily on rainfall to resupply the ponds. The rains we have had recently have helped raise the water levels in the ponds. They are still not to where they had been but the levels are considerably higher than when we were in drought conditions. There were a decent number of birds there. But I did not see any ibis, snowy or great egrets.

The numbers the cormorants are perched on are distance markers for skipping stones. Unfortunately, you have to bring your own stones as there are not any in the area. The soils mostly consist of expansive clay.

These were taken with the Voigtlander 35 Classic Nokton MC the EXIF data show the 24 Elmarit. That is on me. I forgot to change the profile to the Voigtlander

L1001003.jpg
L1001006.jpg

Last edited:
Can contributors here please state whether the images posted are from the SC or MC versions. I think I can tell by just seeing the images but it'd be good to know anyway. Forgive me; I'm actually interested in that sort of information and acknowledge that 99.9% of people won't be.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere on this forum or even thread but it seems to me that this is an optically superior version of the Summilux pre asph which warranted or not, now has a certain 'God' status. I understand these Voigts even have that wide open 'glow' which seems to be popular at the moment.

Both shots were taken with the MC version @ f8.
The weather was getting brutally hot 97 F or 36 C with very little wind. There was enough water in the lake to support the lilies and birds. We saw common gallinule, purple gallinule, great white egrets, tri-color herons and possibly a green heron. We unfortunately did not have our binoculars with us. This was an unplanned trip to the park.
L1001332.jpg
L1001339.jpg

Back