Leica Showcase Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 Nokton

Most look good.

With the first shot: I use the "Sparkle in the Eye" for the focusing with the RF. Makes a nice point source.

The 50/1.1 Nokton is territory that most will not go. I find using it with the RF is far easier than focusing the 55/1.2 on the Nikon Df.

I agree completely. I still find it difficult to nail the focus with the 'Lux f1.4 and the Nokton f1.1
A combination of less than perfect eyesight, too little light and slow shutter speeds can be a challenge. In all honesty, I need more practice and perhaps some schooling in the use of the camera.

"The 50/1.1 Nokton is territory that most will not go. I find using it with the RF is far easier than focusing the 55/1.2 on the Nikon Df."

So the RF focus indication is easier to notice than the Df's focus-peaking?

I suppose for critical RF focusing, you have to know if your lens back-focuses at given ranges ...

"A combination of less than perfect eyesight, too little light and slow shutter speeds can be a challenge."

Probably why I'm tending toward scenic photography: large depth of field, subject doesn't move, can take however long I like, heh! (Well, sometimes catching that changing sunlight can make for a mad scramble.)

The Df auto-focus assist gives up for some of the low-light shots that I've been doing. If the subject stays still, I can manually focus. Moving subject, I have better luck with the RF.

by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikkor 35/2 wide-open on the Df, ISO 12,800, 1/30th. Used the "Sparkle" for focus.

Moving Subject-
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikkor 8.5cm f2, wide-open, ISO 10,000, 1/25th second- I get twice as many in focus with the RF.

Last edited:
And BACK to the 50/1.1 Nokton...

On the M Monochrom.

Wide-Open at F1.1. Focus and recompose.

24074003551_76e87be46a_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Udvar Hazy, Jan 2016 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

24074001851_827baf4706_o.jpg

24130506176_1a495558f1_o.jpg

24156603245_18d5c4e978_o.jpg

This lens has character.

I put "Udvar Hazy" for the "Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum" in the description field of the Flick images. Flickr includes this field in the default BB code for inserting the image. Sometimes I edit it out manually.

But.... i know someone that's getting a new lens, thought that person would enjoy these...

Udvar Hazy is the cousin of Ingmar Bokeh. I believe he was a cinematographer on the master's early films, until he became so depressed and confused that he could no longer focus his Bolex. :)

New In Box Tiffen 62mm Standard Hot Mirror IR Filter SHM PN 151710

The above is 62mm, easier to find- I used one with a Step-Up ring.

I've found the Hot Mirror filter improves color, even on the M9 with the very fast F1.1 lens.

I bought one of the inexpensice IR cut filters like the first link in your post, and it certainly is good enough- but the Tiffen was made for Pro use, is very high quality.

You do NOT want the BG-39 filter, will cause a color-cast.

I did some tests with/without the filter. I always kept one on it as I bought he lens for the M8, leave the filter on with the M9. When others complained about a purple cast with the lens I could never understand what they were talking about. Then I took the filter off...

I got this lens a week ago from someone online, and I placed on order online for an IR cut filter for it, but I still have not received it. I was warned by Brian that even with the M9, an IR cut filter is needed with this lens. I took some photos of a pretty sunset a few days ago.
here are the images form that session: CV 50mm 1.1 - raid

At one stage, a surfer showed up, so i took some photos when it was difficult to focus on him in the sunset. Some came out nice. I have not deleted any of the images.

CV501.1--8-XL.jpg

CV501.1--9-X2.jpg

CV501.1--20-X2.jpg

CV501.1--26-X2.jpg

I like the lens already. It seems to be a fun lens to use.

Back