Leica Showcase Voigtlander 50mm F1 Nokton

Brian

Product of the Fifties
The new Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1 uses aspherical optics, floating element, and special glass. Focus is spot-on throughout the entire range with my M9, and accurate at the tested apertures of F1, F1.4, F2, F2.8, and F4.

FULL RESOLUTION SHOTS:
Nokton 50mm F1.0

Test Shots, have to put up my fence post first.

F1.0,

L1023665.jpg

F1.4,

L1023666.jpg

F2.0,

L1023667.jpg

F2.8,

F4.0,

L1023669.jpg

I did not use a tripod, all hand held in the cold, cold, wind.

Last edited:
Very, very impressive!

If a) this lens wasn't quite as big as it is and b) I didn't already own the Nokton f/1.2 and love it, nothing could stop me getting this lens.

That said, this is a fantastic showing - and a very nice showcase, thank you, Brian!

M.

Very, very impressive!

If a) this lens wasn't quite as big as it is and b) I didn't already own the Nokton f/1.2 and love it, nothing could stop me getting this lens.

That said, this is a fantastic showing - and a very nice showcase, thank you, Brian!

M.
Not as big as the Canon 50/0.95 with its 72mm filter!

I also have the 50/1.2 Nokton... I do not let such matters stop me from getting such a lens.

Be very careful of using filters with this lens. The front element protrudes- filters with glass inside the threads could hit it. The Nikon L37c was too close for comfort, I moved the glass to a Tiffen filter frame.

At $1800 for this lens: it is less than 1/5th the price of the 50/0.95 Nocttilux, less than a used Konica 50/1.2, and less than a Canon 50/0.95 converted to M-Mount. It is well made, smooth as butter for focus, accurate across the full focus range, and I have no problem using it with the Rangefinder of the M9. I use a 1.25x magnifier.

Not as big as the Canon 50/0.95 with its 72mm filter!

I also have the 50/1.2 Nokton... I do not let such matters stop me from getting such a lens.

Be very careful of using filters with this lens. The front element protrudes- filters with glass inside the threads could hit it. The Nikon L37c was too close for comfort, I moved the glass to a Tiffen filter frame.
I know what you mean and certainly appreciate your approach - even so, the 50mm f/1.2 is about as big as I can bear a 50mm lens on a Leica M to be; it remains eminently portable on the M10. I don't have anything against huge lenses in general if they're worth it - that's why I got myself a Z 50mm f/1.2 S, a lens probably three times the size and easily twice the weight of the 50mm f/1.0. You may actually have got the better deal overall, but I don't care, either: The Z 50mm f/1.2 S is marvellous in its own right.

Anyhow, Voigtländer seems to have really hit it out of the park with this one - the images show superb optical quality!

M.

I note your earlier comments about how the F1.1 is like Voigtlander’s version of the Noctilux F1, it also seems to look quite similar to the Noctilux F1 V4 too.
Cosina made SLR lenses in Pentax M42 mount in the 1960s, my first SLR was an Argus/Cosina STL1000. These Noktons retain the same style knurling as the 1960s lenses. The aperture ring is close to the nose, rather than the mount because these are RF lenses. My Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F1.8 also has the same type knurling and aperture ring, black focus ring and aperture ring with a chrome nose. I think this was the style before rubber focus rings became a thing.

Most of these shots require focus and recompose. The M9 and M Monochrom do not have live-view, focus is via the rangefinder.
It is fast and accurate. Focus on the face at F1, then recompose. This tests edge sharpness and flatness of field.

L1023827.jpg

This one is at F2. This tells me that focus shift is no problem with this lens. Try this with a Zeiss C-Sonnar, and you must manually compensate the focus. I have a lot of Sonnar lenses.
No need to manually compensate the Nokton.

L1023828.jpg

F1.0, focus is on the face of the wounded Marine of the Iwo Jima display.

L1023821.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At F2.0,

L1023822.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bokeh shot. Very smooth. I have not seen any "Onion Rings" that occur with some aspherical optics. Some slight "residual Astigmatism" which is responsible for oval shaped Bokeh in the Cannon shot above revolving around the center. Take your pick, Astigmatism or Flatness of Field. This lens has a great compromise. IF there is any field curvature, it is contained within the F1.0 DOF. Otherwise my focus and recompose shots would be off.

Minimum Focus, 0.9m

F1.0,

L1023378.jpg

And F2.0

L1023379.jpg

If you are a super-speed lens lover, like me- and did not think to buy a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 when they were $800 Thirty Years Ago, here's your chance to buy a Manual-Focus, RF coupled F1.0 lens at the now 2022 equivalent price. $1800 for this new lens. 1/2 stop faster. You cannot buy a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 for that kind of money these days.
You can spend more money on a lens.
I just don't need to, having this lens.

Last edited:
Back