Leica Showcase Voigtlander 50mm F1.2 Nokton Aspheric

Brian

Product of the Fifties
I picked this lens up a couple of months ago, have been using it on my Leica M9. Work has been "extremely busy", and taking some breaks while my Daughter is out of school.

This lens is fast, relatively compact, sharp, contrasty, and focuses to 0.7m. It uses 52mm filters. About the same size and weight as my Nikon 50mm F1.2 AIS lens. Same filter size.

With all that, why order the new 50mm f1.0 Nokton Aspheric?
I don't need a reason... I also have the Canon 50/0.95 and Canon 50/1.2. Same combo, just 60 years older.

Wide-Open,

L1023432.jpg

At F2, shot through a store window.

L1023442.jpg

Lots of aperture blades. The Nikkor 50/1.2 Ais has 9 aperture blades.

Last edited:
Wide-Open, late sun,

L1023424.jpg

Walking around Occoquan.

Wide-Open

L1023412.jpg

"Color Fringing test", no problem. I use a UV filter. I've seen complaints about "purple fringing" on some lenses. This is often caused by UV and/or IR contamination. Digital sensors are sensitive to UV and IR, some more than others. The Leica M9 is very sensitive to UV. The M8 is sensitive to IR, but well controlled for UV.

Wide-Open, "Bokeh test"- Smooth.

L1023403.jpg

at F2.8, overcast day.

L1023395.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, I know how to use an Aperture ring. Sometimes I wish I didn't. Would make working on camera lenses easier if i did not worry about the aperture blades falling out.

Last edited:
LM103685.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

Lesson Learned on this lens:

DO NOT CODE AS A LEICA 50/1.2 Noctilux! The Noctilux suffers from pronounced Barrel Distortion.

The Nokton shows slight pincushion distortion, corrected using "-2" of Lightroom for manual distortion correction.

If you apply the Noctilux Profile: You get Severe Pincussion distortion as a result of the Noctilux correction being applied.

These are Uncoded, and no corrections for distortion.
L1024168.jpg
The_Bone_F4.jpg

Last edited:
Lesson Learned on this lens:

DO NOT CODE AS A LEICA 50/1.2 Noctilux! The Noctilux suffers from pronounced Barrel Distortion.

The Nokton shows slight pincushion distortion, corrected using "-2" of Lightroom for manual distortion correction.

If you apply the Noctilux Profile: You get Severe Pincussion distortion as a result.

These are Uncoded, and no corrections for distortion.View attachment 330684View attachment 330685View attachment 330686
Ah - I often code the Canon LTM as a Noct, probably no need.

Back